The Traveler Prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dfurlano

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

I made this pen as a prototype for a series I hope to make. The next version I am going to make a collection of 25 or 50 pens in sterling silver, ebonite, and one type of wood per pen.

This pen is make from Leopardwood and Blackwood and the ends are coral. The trim and 112 dots are made from Brass. The clip is low brass and is enameled. The last photo shows the brass compass inset into the finial.

Here it is:

traveler1.jpg

traveler2.jpg

traveler3.jpg

traveler4.jpg

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is a fantastic piece of work. I imagine the setting up to get it that good must have taken ages. Did you do the dots or the spirals first? I'll bet you were nervous doing the first cut.[:)]Hope the rest will look as good

wood-of-1kind

Dan, that is a fine work of art. An extremely wonderful design and it's so nice that I'd only use it for those special occasions. I'm still staring and staring at this work over and over. Masterful cuts and detailing. You go to the front of the class with this baby.
-Peter-

OKLAHOMAN

The sound you heard was my chin hitting the floor.[:0] That is one of the best I've had the pleasure to view.I'm in awe!

btboone

Nice job. Sterling silver should be an interesting look. I wonder if the silver and brass will have any galvanic reaction with each other. The dots could just as easily be ball endmill dots on that version if necessary.

Thumbs

Wow! Looks like somebody ought to be making a run at the PMG! This looks much better than some of the others that earned membership recently. IMHO....... MUCH BETTER! Oops! Are you a member already? It's a beautiful piece regardless.

NPGJ[:D]

gerryr

Fabulous work, Dan. That's all I can say. But I do have a question. You said the clip is made from "low" brass. I know what that means in music, but not in this context. What is it?

dfurlano

I cut the grooves first on a CNC milling machine, then drilled the holes. The holes do (should) not go through. But I did accidentally go to far on the cap holes and had to use a dremel to clean out the inside because the brass dots protruded and interfered with the nib.

Yellow brass has a melting Point of 1706° F and is an alloy of 70% copper, 30% zinc.
Low brass has a melting point of 1877°F and is 85% copper, 15% zinc.

I used the low brass because the firing range for enamel is 1400-1500F and since I am using a propane torch it is hard to control temperature and the low brass gives me a little more heat tolerance. Also it is a stiffer material but not by much.

Radman

Geeze that nice!
That's quite an accomplishment!
I'd love to have one, but like Boone's pens that I really like too, they're not in my price range.
You my friend might be the most talented artist around here.
Thanks for sharing!

chigdon

I just keep looking at it every time I come to the site and I can't get over how pleasing it is. The design is just great and needless to say the execution is suppurb.

dfurlano

I am traveling to California next week and my return date is still undetermined. So it will depend on when I make it back but I will let you know.

bob393

Super, SUper, SUPer, SUPER Work!!

Originally posted by csb333
<br />That is again one of the finest pens I have seen! The holidays have brought out the best, and this is the best of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom