Traveler Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dfurlano

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

This is a long pen with 112 sterling silver inlay dots, custom made solid sterling silver clip and band engraved with "To travel hopefully" from RL Stevenson "To travel hopefully is a better thing then to arrive", Pomele Bubinga Sapwood on the body and African Blackwood on the cap. Ebonite nib assembly holder along with the top finial and bottom cap. I purchased the London Stanley compass inset in the very top of the finial and the nib and nib assembly. Everything else was fabricated, fit and assembled by me.

full.gif

Close up of the cap front side. I engraved a sterling silver disk with the compass and then made a fixture so when I heated the disk I could bend it into the proper radius. I then enameled the engraving with black enamel. I finished with 0000 steel wool.

cap.gif

This is a photo of the pen clip on the rear of the cap. The clip was machined in wax and sent out for casting in sterling silver. Once I got the clip back I finished the clip mostly by tumbling and some buffing. I then used Liver of Sulfur to blacken the clip.

capback.gif

Shot with the cap and pen together. On the bottom of the clip in the oval is my trademark df.

capoff.gif

Why is the pen so long? Well I wanted to make it so that a converter would fit in the body. Again the part I purchased was the nib, holder and converter that you see outside the pen. I made the threaded black ebonite on the pen. Outside threads for the cap inside threads for the nib assembly.

nibout.gif

But why does putting a converter on the assembly make the pen long? Well like any good traveler you always travel prepared. The bottom cap unscrews and you can store a refill cartridge in the back of the pen. I made a separate storage compartment that is separate from the rest of the pen body. A place to store that special contraband.

refillout.gif

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Tuba707

Beautiful pen. You had a very creative design and it was obviously well executed. That is a work of art - are you selling it?

Just out of curiousity, where did you get the nib housing and converter?

Thumbs

An amazing piece! Congratulations on what had to be a long involved work![:D]
Looks like a viable entry for the you-know-who group. Much better than some I've seen there.

Oops![:0][:I] Maybe you're already a member! Whether you are or not, this is a spectacular piece that deserves recognition. Great pen, nice finish! LOL![:p]

alamocdc

Dan, only one word comes to mind and I've studied every photo closely for the last 20 minutes... stunning, simply stunning. This is one of the most beautiful hand made FPs I've ever seen.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Nicely done! The design is magnificent! How does the sterling silver hold up over time? I dont have any experience with that finish, and would like to file the knowledge away for future use. I would also like to know about how the converter kit was made.

GoodTurns

I had to come back to respond. When I looked at it right after you posted, my first reaction was BUSY! As is often the case, waiting and looking again changes impressions. It is an incredibly complex and beautiful artwork. It is not something I would be drawn to make, but the craftsmanship and detail are incredible! I don't know what direction my penmaking will take, I can only hope that I can even see the path you are on. Fantastic pen.

penmanruss

Had to take a moment to respond. That is one beautiful pen, and has had a great deal of care put into it. Tremendous work, and an inspiration to those of us who try to incorporate different materials and media into our pens. Thanks for showing it to us all.

Scott

Hi Dan!

Nice pen! It is one of the few pens I've seen here that is a solid step away from "penturning", and a solid step towards "Pen Making". I have no idea what motivations were behind the making of this pen. They must have been something, because I know full well what it took to make this. So let me ask a few questions: Is this a "one off" for the fun of it, or do you have a purpose? Are you happy with the final result, or do you see improvements? Are you going to sell this pen, and if so, what audience do you picture being the target? Please don't be offended by my questions, because I really like what you have done! I just want to get a feel for how and why you got from point A to point B. Please feel free to E-Mail me if you choose not to reply here. Thanks!

Scott.

dfurlano

Thanks for the comments. To answer the questions:

I finished the sterling silver with liver of sulfur to tarnish the surface. I would assume the surface will hold up and I am going to do an experiment on the longevity of the flexibility of the clip interface to the pen body.

The "dots" are sterling silver wire.

The motivation for the pen was RL Stevenson's prose. I plan on making several pens based upon classic works in the public domain. I am rarely happy with the end result and this clearly is a problem for me. I like to iterate and change and improve my designs to a fault. Although I would not add anything to this pen I have contemplated making a sterling silver compass, adding a full engraving inside the spiral grooves of RLS's prose, having the lower body go inside the upper cap ring.... it's almost madding.

I am hoping to have several of these available for the DC show, although that may not happen due to time restrictions. People that are serious travelers will get the theme and I hope appreciate the look and feel of the pen. The intention was to make a pen that did not look manufactured and had an old world feel, like a dusty old world map book you would see in a Indiana Jones movie. I have not come up with a price I see how much interest it draws.

I did a lot of new things on this pen and that caused me to make choices that I hopefully will not have to deal with when I get more experience. I like mechanical things and I simply could not do the type of design I had envisioned on this pen. Hopefully future pens will see some new ideas.

Dan

GaryMGg

Dan,

With any luck, this pen and it's entire evolution will become a sticky here! [:D]
The <s>craftsmanship</s> virtuosity, thoughtfulness and effort that went into producing this masterpiece ought to be preserved for posterity.

For those who haven't seen it or who've forgotten the evolution of this piece, I give you the prototype

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=20530

and the second iteration

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=21475

Bravo Maestro! Bravo!

Gary

Scott

Dan,

Thanks for the answers! You have a concept here that works very well. I hope you intend to make a limited edition of this pen. I know it's boring to make the same thing over and over, but if you could do even ten of these, I think it would be worth your while. This pen is every bit as appealing as most of the Krone LE's I have seen, and they sell very well. I know you want to make improvements, but there is also the need to leave well enough alone. This pen is fine how it is! Remember the improvements you want to make, and use them on the next pen design.

I really like the use of the silver inlaid for the dots. I first saw this technique about six years ago, used on a woodturned bowl. The mechanics of inalying a silver dot is not that bad, but the aesthetics of it are more challenging. I think you nailed the aesthetics dead on! The spiral on the lower barrel is also just about perfect. Subtle but noticeable. And not too busy. I really like the compass emblem you made for the cap. I'm not so sure about the working compass in the finial, but it fits with the pen. I also don't know if I care for the pointed end on the clip, but that is personal preference, and again it fits with the pen.

You have done an amazing job of sticking with your theme here. Your workmanship and attention to detail is flawless. Depending on your price point these pens will be snapped up by collectors, so you ought to be thinking about how much you want to charge!

I really appreciate you sharing this with us!

Scott.

richstick1

That is, far and away, the nicest piece of work I've seen here. Nothing else even comes remotely close. Incredible job. The clip is so gorgeous I can't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom