Trash Bin Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well, not exactly "Trash," but each of these pens gave me problems all along the way and over the past 6 months I put them away, partially finished for when I could be more patient.

On Father's Day, I had a nice relaxing day to myself (family was all away), so I treated myself to a long day in the shop.

I'm pleased with the final results.

From Left to right:

Bottlebrush/Wenge/credit card
Quilted Maple/Wenge/Credit Card (Blank from TerryQ)
Rainbow Tree/Wenge/Credit Card (Blank from Bob Wemm - North Territory Australia)
Mexican Cocobolo/Padauk/Credit Card (Only the second Cocobolo I've turned due to possible allergies - This blank I just couldn't resist. However, I had considerable problems finding an acceptable finish, and must had sanded it back down to the wood 4 times. WOP in the end)
Camphor/Torquoise Inlays/Wenge/Credit Card

For new turners: Don't totally abandon those problematic projects, lay them aside and come back another day.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice set of pens! I love those wenge accents.

I do also but these gave me fits! I usually use pen blanks, but this time I tried using a flat board. So that the end grain was on the sides, which resulted in chipouts at the tube ends. I need to make sure the grain pattern is aligned with the tube as opposed to it. Some of the chip outs I was able to repair, some I simply turned the segment out and started over, only to have it chip out again... (slow learner).

Rolandranch

I do also but these gave me fits! I usually use pen blanks, but this time I tried using a flat board. So that the end grain was on the sides, which resulted in chipouts at the tube ends. I need to make sure the grain pattern is aligned with the tube as opposed to it. Some of the chip outs I was able to repair, some I simply turned the segment out and started over, only to have it chip out again... (slow learner).
I did the exact same thing with ebony accents. I had a board that I used and it chipped out three times before I finished it (thankfully it fit back together every time so I couldn't even notice it had chipped out). It must've been much harder with wenge though.

Woodchipper

Nice pens and profitable time in the shop. Sometimes it is good to retreat and regroup. When using something like a credit card for an accent ring, do you need to adjust the length of the blank to compensate for the thickness? Thanks in advance.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice pens and profitable time in the shop. Sometimes it is good to retreat and regroup. When using something like a credit card for an accent ring, do you need to adjust the length of the blank to compensate for the thickness? Thanks in advance.

Hi John:

I glue my blank onto the tube, then on the lathe turn down to the tube an equal distance from each side. Then I glue on the accent strip (veneer or credit card, etc), the the final trim ring. Usually my trim ring extends beyond the tube, so it gets sanded down to the tube before final turning.

This is a different pen, but you'll see.

Attachments

• IMG_3483.jpg
    IMG_3483.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 103

leehljp

Member Liaison
LOOKING ABSOLUTELY GREAT! Absence made the heart grow fonder! :biggrin:

Doesn't work for me! My trash bin pens bite me when I pick them up after a long absence! :biggrin:

Woodchipper

Mark, thanks for the info and the photo. Need to try that.

I remember a business trip with my father to Medina about 55 years ago. My memory was of the steel mills.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, thanks for the info and the photo. Need to try that.

I remember a business trip with my father to Median about 55 years ago. My memory was of the steel mills.

Oh My, you are an old S..T John! I've been in Medina for about 23 years, no steel mills here. Still some industry.

Be well.

Woodchipper

That's right, Mark. Old enough to know better, too young to resist! :biggrin:
Elyria, OH and not Medina. Memory is going. Can't remember who told me.

Last edited:

OZturner

Magnificent Assembly of Near Misses Mark,
Beautiful Assortment of Blanks, Beautifully Segmented.
Your Good Lady must go through a lot of Credit Cards, :eek:
I think I married her Sister :rolleyes:
Superb Turning, Fit and Finish.
Great Work. :good:
Brian.

Top Bottom