Transformation Swap to Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

This is the pen I sent Tom tkbarron for the transformation swap. It is ebony, boxelder burl, amboyna, aluminum and ebonite. The grip is ebonite. Tom has received it and asked me to post pictures. Comments good and bad welcome.
Closed
swap_to_tom1.jpg
Open
swap_to_tom2.jpg
Inset buttons
swap_to_tom3.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Wow. I think you outdid yourself on that one. It is a beauty.

I got a Bic I will swap you for one like that:laugh:.

Ray

Jim Burr

Banned
That has a lot of class...well thought out, assembled, turned and finished! Really...that is one heck of a keeper!

hewunch

LOVE the segmenting and color combination on this pen. Gives me some idea.

Very good. I hope to see some of your ideas soon! Btw you can't go wrong with neopolitian :) black white red

Wow. I think you outdid yourself on that one. It is a beauty.

I got a Bic I will swap you for one like that:laugh:.

Ray

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass :wink: thanks for the compliment.

It's a thing of beauty and definitely gives me inspiration to try kitless someday.

Thanks again Hans!!

Tom

Tom, if I can do it, you can. You will be great at it. I hope you get many years of use out of it.

Great Looking Pen, I really like the segmenting Job.

Thanks!

That has a lot of class...well thought out, assembled, turned and finished! Really...that is one heck of a keeper!

I wish I could say that I got it right on the first try. That would mean I would have 2 blanks. But, it didn't turn out that way. Thanks.

Great job. I like the design, the colors,,, I like it all!

Thanks. I was very pleased that the segment lined up in front and back.

Brooks803

Very cool Hans. Looks much better than the napkin drawing you did last time we had lunch! The segments are great and you did great lining it all up.

(How's that for a non-1-word response :rolleyes::tongue::biggrin:)

Katya

Beautiful work! I love the wood choices, the curving design and the execution. Please tell me- what kind of glue did you use, and what was the trickiest part to do? I'm just starting out with segmenting and would love to do sweeping lines like that.

hewunch

another find pice of work

Thank you!

Very cool Hans. Looks much better than the napkin drawing you did last time we had lunch! The segments are great and you did great lining it all up.

(How's that for a non-1-word response :rolleyes::tongue::biggrin:)

Yes, it does look better than the napkin:biggrin: thanks!

I like that a lot! Something about the informal balance in the design, that is very slick.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes, I like the curves too.

WOW, great job of lining everything up. I really like the color combinations too.

Thanks Bob. Like I said, you can't go wrong with vanilla, chocolate and strawberry :wink:

That is an interesting way of doing some segments. I wouldnt mind a pen like that in my collection. Lucky guy who got that

Maybe we will get paired up some day.

Beautiful work! I love the wood choices, the curving design and the execution. Please tell me- what kind of glue did you use, and what was the trickiest part to do? I'm just starting out with segmenting and would love to do sweeping lines like that.

I used thick CA glue for the segments. Making sure you have tight joints is the toughest part.

SDB777

Talk about lining up the segmenting! WOW!

Would love to watch you turning that cap in a video! Bet the pucker value was quite high?!?!?!

Scott (youz got tha talents) B

Robert111

Amazing pen Hans! Turned out super. I would love to hear more about it, like how do you keep it together without brass tubes, or are there tubes? Tubeless and segmented construction would make you the Babe Ruth of pen making!:highfive:

hewunch

Talk about lining up the segmenting! WOW!

Would love to watch you turning that cap in a video! Bet the pucker value was quite high?!?!?!
Scott (youz got tha talents) B

That's how I roll :rolleyes: seriously, thanks, actually, lots of thin CA, gauze and several prayers. But more on what held it together below.

It is truly a work of art. I love the combination of the different materials.

Thanks, that is very kind.

Amazing pen Hans! Turned out super. I would love to hear more about it, like how do you keep it together without brass tubes, or are there tubes? Tubeless and segmented construction would make you the Babe Ruth of pen making!:highfive:

If I did it without inner support you would be right. And the first time it got dropped it would likely break. However, to help it stay together and to aid in threading I put an ebonite core in each side.

BSea

You said you used an ebonite core in each side. Does it go the entire length of the blank? The reason I ask is because eventually the cap likely will have some ink drip inside. Unless the inside is sealed, it can soak through the wood. And box elder would really show that.

You probably know this anyway. I didn't though. And watch_art (Shawn Newton) asked me this after seeing a wooded pen I made. And of course I didn't :redface:. So, a full sleeve of something is advisable in making wooden custom fountain pens. And there is always the added benefit of helping hold a cool segmented blank together while turning.:rolleyes:

wiset1

really smooth design with a great energy to it, I think you hit a home run with this one!

hewunch

You said you used an ebonite core in each side. Does it go the entire length of the blank? The reason I ask is because eventually the cap likely will have some ink drip inside. Unless the inside is sealed, it can soak through the wood. And box elder would really show that.

You probably know this anyway. I didn't though. And watch_art (Shawn Newton) asked me this after seeing a wooded pen I made. And of course I didn't :redface:. So, a full sleeve of something is advisable in making wooden custom fountain pens. And there is always the added benefit of helping hold a cool segmented blank together while turning.:rolleyes:

yep, the core goes the length of each piece. HOWEVER, I did not completely account for the extra girth I would need to account for threads and runout. So, for all those who wish to go to school on me, make your core a little bigger than you think you should the first few times.

As to the box elder, thankfully it is stabilized so I think it will be ok.

really smooth design with a great energy to it, I think you hit a home run with this one!

Thanks Tim, that means a lot coming from an accomplished segmenter such as yourself.

That's gorgeous!!! That's my new favorite pen.

:embarrassed: Thanks.

Top Bottom