Trade With Rifleman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Recently, I sent Frank a green stabilized BEB blank he needed for an order. For trade, I asked for a piece of his Osage Orange. I knew I had ripped Frank off when I saw the USPS box at my door. It was packed with two log sections of Osage Orange!!

I wanted to make a pen quickly, or at least quickly for me so I could brag on my new wood. This is a Chrome Sierra. The wood is finished with several coats of spray Deft and polished.

Thanks, Frank!!

20074311654_Osage%20Orange%20Sierra.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It's a beautiful pen, Cav. And your photography is excellent!

Guess you were born to be a "wood" guy, huh????[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Seriously, I always heard Osage Orange turns colors later in life - is this a fable?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />It's a beautiful pen, Cav. And your photography is excellent!

Guess you were born to be a "wood" guy, huh????[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Seriously, I always heard Osage Orange turns colors later in life - is this a fable?

Nope. Not a fable. All woods (it's reported there is one exotic exception) turn dark with time and exposure to light. Eventually that pen will be a beautiful dark brown. I use an artist's pencil for my shop pencil made from OO. Since it is in the pocket of my apron most of the time, it isn't showing any darkening after two years. A weather station I made my son from OO hangs on the wall of his lake house between two large windows that catch a lot of sun. After less than a year it was dark, chocolate, brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom