Toxic Flame Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Made a couple pens for my inventory this morning and I thought this one came out extra nice. It was originally intended for a Jr Gent Cap, but I thought I'd see just how small I can spin that down to. It is a single barrel Parker refill finial twist pen. The black/grey/white was a scrap piece of Alumilite I pulled from the trash bin.

Attachments

• greyflamepen.jpg
    greyflamepen.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 668
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Made a couple pens for my inventory this morning and I thought this one came out extra nice. It was originally intended for a Jr Gent Cap, but I thought I'd see just how small I can spin that down to. It is a single barrel Parker refill finial twist pen. The black/grey/white was a scrap piece of Alumilite I pulled from the trash bin.

Nice work as usual Jeff. Is that a pen kit or something you put together??? Looks good with the blamk. Thanks for showing.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
The black/grey/white was a scrap piece of Alumilite I pulled from the trash bin.

Ok, I'll ask.....why was that cool mix in the rubbish? I'd like to see that on a full pen. I don't remember seeing it from you before:confused:

Another great pen Jeff!!!:biggrin:

Mark

Boy, I'd love to have your trash bin. :biggrin:
That is an awesome looking pen. Nicely Done...

workinforwood

Ah..well thanks guys. The piece was in the rubbish because it was from an experimental pour with my first rain drop pen. It was just a cut-off, no big enough to make a pen with and I do not generally save little 1-2" pieces.

The pen is not a pen kit I guess. I just used a parker transmission and a cigar clip out of a box that Charlie gave me which contains quite a few cigar parts. I just bore out/step drill a piece of aluminum and thread the end for my nib to go on for changing refills. The tranny drops down the hole and stops at a step down inside the pen and is held in with a few drops of Epoxy. I was making the finial twist totally out of aluminum too, but now I have a bunch of those activator pieces from cigar pens, so I just part off the threaded end on those brass pieces and drill a hole in my twist finial and glue in the brass peices which is a really just insurance..as it is a press fit. Saves me a bit of time, work and materials. Pretty much all my ballpoint pens look similar to these anymore. I guess this has become my thing with ballpoints. Started out with Butch showing me a few things about a year agao, and then I picked up the ball and came up with this pen design which is not too complicated to make and has a unique look and feel. I've got it down to the point where I can knock one out in 2 hrs..that's not bad for a custom pen I think.

workinforwood

This is an even faster and cheaper way I do it when I have the stuff to do so, and the pen looks the same but is just a hair heavier. Charlie had some cigar blanks that were junkers I guess that he sent me, so I stripped the blanks off the tubes. You don't even need a metal lathe..it's aluminum..you just need a collet chuck and if you have one of those carbide chisels like Ken sells, that's a big bonus. You chuck the tranny coupler and spin off the ring. The coupler is then pressed in to the lower tube of the pen just like always..you would normally have the ring to stop you going in too far, in this case, you just stop at the nickel exposed area that you trimmed away. Then you put a small drop of CA on the threads and you screw on the tranny. The upper tube..sand the inside of one end. A bit of CA on the nickel exosed area of the tranny coupler and slide the tube over top. The two tubes become one long tube with the tranny secured inside. The coupler gives strength to the joint of the two tubes.

The nib section, well you can just use the standard cigar nib and coupler, or you can spin off the ring on the coupler and make your own nib. If you use the cigar nib, you will have to spin the pen to that size, and if you use your own nib, you can go a bit smaller if you like.

You glue the blank on the tube of course. At the top end of the pen, you just spin away the blank down to the tube..a mortise that would be...and how far back is up to you..for me it's maybe a 1/4" back from the end is fine. The clip, you have to grind the inside of the clip with a dremel so that it fits tight over the tube. I don't have one in the picture, but you also need to make a retention ring. The clip presses over the tube and the ring follows it up...it's not a press fit when I do it, but it's close, and some epoxy and a clamp is used to glue the clip and ring on the top.

Then you see, you make a knob on top to activate the tranny, using a piece of metal that you knurl, or you can use acrylic to match the pen, whatever. The activater piece of brass..the threaded metal on top was cut off, then pushed up into a hole in the finial and glued in.

Hope that helps a bit.

Attachments

• 1piece1.jpg
    1piece1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 1piece2.jpg
    1piece2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 135

RAdams

Banned
pretty cool. Can you do a more classic looking flame? Like what you see on old hot rods? I don't care much for the shape of the flames, but the idea is slick.

cnirenberg

Jeff,
That's a great looking pen. I really like the color combo. I'm with Skip on this one, what was that material doing in the scrap pile? Good eye.

Top Bottom