Touble! Flap disc to the rescue- Spalted Hackberry Fountain Pen & Letter opener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

Oh boy had a lot of trouble. My first spalted pen, it was difficult, very brittle, borer holes (i think). Did not realise how fragile it was. I decided to try the flap disc and it worked! George hat's off really a good technique. The pen I had to fill in a number of borer holes, but the letter opener done with the flap disc was perfect. I would really recommend that it should be used for any tough material! No shame, it works! Anyway the guy I made it for loved it. So I offered it as a kit, with a box. This was my first Majestic Kit. 22k gold and rhodium, with Swarowski crystal. It is a great kit. I forgot to buy the bushings for the letter opener, so I used a digital caliper to get the fit, that was an interesting exercise. It worked ok. A lot of learning with this! C&C most welcome. I really want to learn and get better at this. Thanks

Attachments

• Spalted Hackberry Majestic Fountain Pen & Letter opener.jpg
    Spalted Hackberry Majestic Fountain Pen & Letter opener.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Spalted Hackberry Majestic Fountain Pen & Letter opener1.jpg
    Spalted Hackberry Majestic Fountain Pen & Letter opener1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Spalted Hackberry Majestic Fountain Pen & Letter opener2.jpg
    Spalted Hackberry Majestic Fountain Pen & Letter opener2.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 189
  • Spalted Hackberry Majestic Fountain Pen & Letter opener3.jpg
    Spalted Hackberry Majestic Fountain Pen & Letter opener3.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Oh boy had a lot of trouble. My first spalted pen, it was difficult, very brittle, borer holes (i think). Did not realise how fragile it was. I decided to try the flap disc and it worked! George hat's off really a good technique. The pen I had to fill in a number of borer holes, but the letter opener done with the flap disc was perfect. I would really recommend that it should be used for any tough material! No shame, it works! Anyway the guy I made it for loved it. So I offered it as a kit, with a box. This was my first Majestic Kit. 22k gold and rhodium, with Swarowski crystal. It is a great kit. I forgot to buy the bushings for the letter opener, so I used a digital caliper to get the fit, that was an interesting exercise. It worked ok. A lot of learning with this! C&C most welcome. I really want to learn and get better at this. Thanks

Well, I'm glad you used the flap disc with great success and as you stated, it works, as I always claimed, good for you...!

You, and everyone else, has to go through the process of experimenting new materials, new tools, new techniques and some failures before, the shill is developed. The mistakes are where we most learn from, or at least we should so, we can't be perfect every time, but we all get better at it, with time so, no panic...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

StuartCovey

That's a beautiful set! Great job. If you use the caliper right you'll always get a perfect fit. Might take a little longer but you'll get used to it, it's all I use.

tgsean

Thanks Edstreet, it didn't even occur to me. Stuart you are right, it does take longer, but you will get a perfect fit. Thanks

tgsean

George, Flap disc is just amazing!! Thanks for the best tip I've had with difficult to work material. You are right about learning from mistakes, you learn fast!

OZturner

Terrific Job Sean,
Love the Set, and Flap Disk to the rescue.
A bit more messy, but efffective.
See, George is a lot more than just a Pretty Face.
Regards,
Brian.

Top Bottom