Toscano Uno in Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

Just completed a second Tuscany 1 from Classic Nib. The blank was a gift :big grin: and is from the 1930's I believe.

First time I've turned bakelite. Turns like butter.

C & C welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• Toscano Uno Bakelite Closed.jpg
    Toscano Uno Bakelite Closed.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Toscano Uno Bakelite.jpg
    Toscano Uno Bakelite.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Beautifully crafted pen ,John. I have several pieces of this bakelite which is on my "to do someday" list. Any special instruction on drilling the blank. Did you paint the inside of the blank prior to gluing in the brass barrel? Thanks Darrell

elkhorn

Thanks, all.

Darrell, I just drilled slow and kept lubricating the drill bit. Now that you mention it, I probably should have painted the tubes :reface: You can't see the tubes, but a dark (black?) color may have deepened the blank colors.

wyone

I LOVE it. I am new to pen turning, but what really interests me is the variety of things to turn and I love finding new things to try. Not all of the things are successful but failures are an important part of learning.

Where did you find such an awesome blank? I would love to try, although, I doubt I coud do nearly as good of a job as you did.

OZturner

Glorious Pen, John.
Magnificent Blank, and Great Kit.
For my taste I would have liked it to be a little slimmer, but then again I have small hands.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
A real treat, thank you.
Brian.

elkhorn

Roy (Classic Nib) thanks again for all the support and the great blank! You really outdid yourself.

elkhorn

Brian, John & Roy: thank you all for the compliments.

Brian, I have big meat-hook hands and if there is a chance that I'll keep a pen for myself, I tend to make them a little larger.

MikeL

Very awesome pen. I've said a couple of times you can beat the beautiful character Mother Nature provides in wood but this pen blank competes very well!

Top Bottom