tortoise and white - pretty pretty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

The brown tortoise is the "alternate tortoise" from Exotic Blanks. I LOVE this stuff! The white is some alumilite from Brooks here on IAP. If I had more of the tortoise I would have made the pen a tiny bit longer - or I could have increased the length of the barrel end. The section and barrel end are a bit out of proportion. The section looked WAY too long before I shaped it.

I do really like how the cap completely covers the white on the barrel when it's capped or posted. Of course I intended for that. :biggrin:
Any comments or questions welcome! Cheers!
Thanks for looking.

021.JPG

020.JPG

023.JPG

026.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

027.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I like it too! The cap length doesn't bother me much. In the picture with it posted it flows together perfectly. The shapes compliment each other alot. Capped though it does look a bit off, but if the cap were a touch thinnner I think it'd be spot on.

watch_art

Yeah - the girth of the cap is thicker than what I wanted - I wanted the cap a bit thinner but it was a pain to hold onto. I wasn't too smart when turning this cap. I cut the white to length and glued on the tortoise chip, and didn't think to add any on to the top of the cap to grip it in my lathe. So I had to flip it around a couple of times to get it made up. When I did the majority of the turning, I had a flat piece in the live center to hold it steady - and when I pressed on the cap to cut it down it started to chatter and wobble a little. Not the best set up. I won't be making that mistake again. I'll glue on an extra chunk of plastic to grip the piece with, then just turn it off.

Dan_F

For some reason I am getting no picture.

Well, they magically appeared after I posted. Like the concept, agree that the section is too long. Nice combination of materials though.

Dan

Last edited:
Top Bottom