Tortoise and Feather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PTownSubbie

PTownSubbie

Well, I finally got some shop time today! I was able to finally turn a pen for a customer that was in no hurry and wanted a tortoise shell style blank to replace another pen he owned.

This is a homebrew cast on a Gold Ti Full Sized Gent.
Pen Capped 1.jpg
Pen Capped 2.jpg
Pen Capped 3.jpg

Cap Closeup
Cap Closeup.jpg

Body Closeup
Body Closeup.jpg

This blank I received from JohnU when I visited last month. Great guy by the way! And to think we grew up not far from each other!

Thanks John! The blank was perfect!

This is on a LeRoi Gold Ti.
Feather Whole Shot.jpg

Feather Closeup
Feather Closeup.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments good and bad welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

While I can't swear that tortoise would have come to mind had you not mentioned it, I can tell you with full certainty that that blank is to die for. Let me know when you start selling them.

JohnU

Fred it was nice to finally meeting you. I enjoyed the visit and your blanks. I've turned two of them with no problem and they were immediately grabbed up. Lol. Thank you again.

I'm glad to see you found some shop time and like the feathers. I give that new Tortoise blank 5 stars! An awesome blank and beautiful pen. Great work!

shortcast

Great pens

Two of my favorite motifs!

Tortoise (hack BG guitar picker) and feathers (hack flyfisherman)!!

Figuring out a ways to combine multiple hobbies makes it all the more sweeter!

BTW- "More sweeter" is acceptable usage where I'm from.

PTownSubbie

Thanks everyone for the kinds words. I will be delivering this pen tomorrow afternoon to a new owner! He has shown interest and we will work the details tomorrow.

Very nice Sir! That tortoise blank is awesome! I'm sure that was fun to make...now let's see you do it again :tongue:

That's what I thought when I first saw it! Never again....unfortunately. :mad:
You know how hard it is to recreate....!

PTownSubbie

That's a 3 color pour. Black/Burnt Orange/Dark Green. I made it from a vertical mold. That's why the swirls run the length of the blank vice the diameter of the blank.

You can definately make them from the molds you ordered though! Just takes some practice.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom