Tornadic Twist Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from deeceedub

deeceedub

This is my first SOYP....I'm sad I missed out on the gift certificate drawing, but I never win anything anyway so it's no big loss :rolleyes:

I bought this blank a little while back not realizing I'd be in way over my head with regard to my newbie skill-set. It was more expensive than what I've been working with, and I was scared I would ruin it. It was just sitting safely in the tool chest, but I really wanted to make this pen so I decided to just dive in, and sink or swim.

So I had several hurdles to clear in the process of making this pen. I have never had any real instruction other than books and YouTube videos, so I am just winging it and learning as I go. New skills I got to work on while making this pen include turning man-made materials, painting blank/tube, drilling on my lathe, turning between centers (instructions that came with the blank said it had to be turned round TBC before drilling).

I lost the other half of the blank when I dropped it on the concrete shop floor. I was pretty pleased with the final product, even though I know it's not perfect. Hopefully I will look back a year from now and be embarrassed by my workmanship. :) And the photography stinks, but I figured I could work on perfecting that AFTER I figured out how to turn pens worth taking pictures of.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That should be a source of pride !!! . I think it is exceptionally nice !!!

And by doing it, you have introduced yourself to some very powerful techniques which will serve you for a lifetime.

Congratulations !!!! . Keep it up !!!

greenacres2

Great looking pen!! My first acrylic is on my dresser, and always will be. It is a worthy pen, but I remember that turn even better than my very first pen (wood)--and think it may always be the most vivid memory of a turn.

Congratulations on another first, and doing it justice!!
earl

1080Wayne

Thank you for posting that Donna . I`ve been waiting 12 years for someone from the other half of Brownfield to show up ! Don`t think I`ve ever posted a picture of a pen . You obviously learn faster than I .

You definitely should be pleased with that pen . Too bad about the other half of the blank . Have never seen that one before , but suspect it must be polyester if it broke hitting the concrete .

Feel free to pick my brain , or whatever is left of it . Questions asked here usually get answered well , although there are frequently different approaches to problems presented , and you have to decide which might work best for you . Of course , the more detail provided in the question , the more focused the answers will be .

Enjoy your new addiction . As with most others , there are significant costs involved .

OZturner

Magnificent Pen Donna,
Spectacular Blank, Nicely Turned, Fitted and Finished.
I cannot see anything that I don't Like, or I could Improve.
As in the second Photograph, It wasn't Earth Shattering,
but it sure Shattered that Rock up a Bit.
Congratulations, More Please.
Brian

deeceedub

Thank you ALL for the kind and encouraging comments. Everyone here at IAP has been very kind and so patient with my endless silly questions. You guys are the best.

Thank you for posting that Donna . I`ve been waiting 12 years for someone from the other half of Brownfield to show up ! Don`t think I`ve ever posted a picture of a pen . You obviously learn faster than I .

You definitely should be pleased with that pen . Too bad about the other half of the blank . Have never seen that one before , but suspect it must be polyester if it broke hitting the concrete .

Feel free to pick my brain , or whatever is left of it . Questions asked here usually get answered well , although there are frequently different approaches to problems presented , and you have to decide which might work best for you . Of course , the more detail provided in the question , the more focused the answers will be .

Enjoy your new addiction . As with most others , there are significant costs involved .

Wayne, I'd bet my savings that your Brownfield is much more scenic than mine. As they say around here, "They don't call it Brownfield for nothin'." Especially in the throes of a drought.

I'm here at IAP for precisely the purpose of picking brains. My dad was a big wood turner, and I inherited his shop contents, but Alzheimer's took his ability to teach me his hobby.

And, YES. I stumbled onto an expensive new pastime. :eek:

magpens

"Wayne, I'd bet my savings that your Brownfield is much more scenic than mine."

Don't count on it, Donna. . I'd hate you to lose your savings. . Wayne's Brownfield is a long way from the scenery. . I have never been there but I was born in the next province to the east ... it is all pretty flat country and can be very brown sometimes.

Of course, it is home to Wayne, and he might have something to say !

deeceedub

"Wayne, I'd bet my savings that your Brownfield is much more scenic than mine."

Don't count on it, Donna. . I'd hate you to lose your savings. . Wayne's Brownfield is a long way from the scenery. . I have never been there but I was born in the next province to the east ... it is all pretty flat country and can be very brown sometimes.

Of course, it is home to Wayne, and he might have something to say !

I've only been to Saint John, Halifax, and Sydney, so in my mind Canada=stunningly beautiful. I guess maybe they didnt name Wayne's Brownfield that for nothin', either. :wink:

But still a fairly safe bet...and my savings is significantly smaller anyway since I started sending chunks of it to Ed & Dawn at Exotic Blanks.

1080Wayne

We definitely have our brown fields from time to time , but hopefully not this year . Was named after some guy from Texas who thought he could graze cattle all winter here but got wiped out by one of those 5-6 month long ones with continuous snow cover and a nasty blizzard or two . He went on to other pursuits , including opening the first post office here in 1907 . Have never researched origin of Brownfield Texas name , but may be from same family .

My scenery may be a bit more varied , as I live high up within the widest part of the Battle river valley , about 350 feet deep , with a fairly clear 4-6 mile view . The valley is very diverse in habitats , pin cushion cactus to paper birch (usually with large base burls) within a half mile of each other .

dogcatcher

I have been to Brownsville Texas, and pretty close to Brownsville, Canada, if there was a contest for flat and brown and there were 5 judges, the final tally could go either way.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I grew up the son of a cotton farmer, those Brownsville Texas cotton fields can look awful pretty. On the other hand I spent 3 year in North Dakota, those grain fields around there are like those around Brownfield Canada.

Brownfield Texas will win on the weather and population, while Brownfield Canada will win on the snow fall and small town atmosphere. Everything else is equal.

Don't sell yourself short, you did a great job. The pen is a real looker. I almost pulled the trigger on one of those blanks but passed, I'm happy to see how it looks on a pen.

deeceedub

Thanks, Jay. I was aiming for maroon and white collegiate colors for a high school graduate who will be going to our old school. It's actually somewhere between maroon and red but it's close enough for me.

----

I don't want to upset the local Chamber of Commerce. Brownfield, Texas is a perfectly nice place to live and the people here are fantastic. I'm sure the exact same can be said for our northern counterpart. :)

Top Bottom