Tool gloat & new pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from txbob

Status
Not open for further replies.

txbob

I'm having more fun learning to use my new Taig lathe. It's small enough that I can carry it in the motorhome, and turn pens as I travel. Shown below is my first pencil, from 6061 aluminum. I wanted a pencil shorter than a Pentel, fatter, and with a rubber grip. The tip and mechanism are from a Pentel Forte, the clip is from a Pentel Capri ballpoint pen, and the blue grip is from a give-away pen. Overall length is 5 inches.

200663141917_MetalPencil.jpg

Your comments please......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Taig is the brand name of a small metal lathe that can also be used for turning wood. The mounting board is 12" x 18", and it weighs around 40 pounds with the motor. Take a look here:
http://www.taigtools.com/mlathe.html

Originally posted by challagan
<br />Bob, nice little pencil. What is a Taig lathe, is that for metals only?

corey

challagan

Originally posted by txbob
<br />Taig is the brand name of a small metal lathe that can also be used for turning wood. The mounting board is 12" x 18", and it weighs around 40 pounds with the motor. Take a look here:
http://www.taigtools.com/mlathe.html
[/quote]

Sweet. Very cool Bob. Hope to see more of your turnings soon! Congrats on the new toy!

Corey

airrat

The maker of those lathes lives behind my parents. Just down the street from Chandler Hardwoods. He tried to get me to buy one about 1997. I was moving and didnt have the room in my apt in Texas.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I also have a Taig. I bought the metal one and then added the woodturning parts. Best of both worlds now. I also have a 12 X 18 inch Rikon lathe. I bought the Taig to carry in my suitcase to Japan 18 months ago, so it is still there. I have had the Rikon here in the States with me since February. There is a lot of difference in the two but I have not been able to compare them side by side. I crated my Rikon this past week for shipment to Japan. It should arrive there in about 4 to 5 weeks.

There seemed to be a tad more precision on the Taig, but more power and versatility on the Rikon. I have plans for using both.

Don't let anyone make fun of your Taig. It can turn a pen every bit as good as a bigger lathe.[8D]

KenV

Welcome to Taig. Lee Valley sells woodtruning accessories for the taig. I remain underwhelmed by the single post rest, and use the two post rest for most wood turning. Get plenty of 2 inch face plates and mount 3/4 inch pine/hem-fir disks on it (I follow the Bonnie Klein advise and use double stick tape to mount the disks) to turn just about anything. The taig live center works well on my pen mandrels.

The lathe Bonnie Klein sells is a Taig with a different set of ways. Several who post here have that version. PSI also sells a version of the Taig.

Nick Carter has the master site for taig - mostly metal work, but much is adaptable to pens and small wood turnings. (http://www.cartertools.com/)

If you get tired of the face plates, get a set of 3/4 by 16 taps and now tap maple blocks to screw onto the headstock to allow turning all kinds of things from peppermills to confetti candles to bird house ornaments.

Your pencil shows you are well on the way.

((I have two of them with one set for wood and the other for metal.)

txbob

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your comments. I've ordered the Lee Valley woodworking toolrest, due here next week. I wondered how strong it would be, but it looks better than the Taig toolrest. Nick's a good dealer, and I bought my Taig from him.

Rarely use faceplates for woodturning, preferring a scroll chuck. My OneWay seems to fit the Taig ok, although it may be a bit heavy for it. It's fine for my other lathes, but they're all too heavy to carry with me. I'm not exactly a begining wood turner, my father taught me how about 55 years ago. And I've been making pens for about 10 years. But this is my first metal lathe and I'm having a ball learning to use it.

My thanks to all who offered comments, I appreciate it.

Coming soon: a rollerball that uses fountain pen ink cartridges.

And finally, Ken we plan to spend next summer, 2007, in Alaska. If we get down your way I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

txbob
http://members.ispwest.com/txbob

Originally posted by KenV
<br />
Welcome to Taig. Lee Valley sells woodtruning accessories for the taig. I remain underwhelmed by the single post rest, and use the two post rest for most wood turning. Get plenty of 2 inch face plates and mount 3/4 inch pine/hem-fir disks on it (I follow the Bonnie Klein advise and use double stick tape to mount the disks) to turn just about anything. The taig live center works well on my pen mandrels.

The lathe Bonnie Klein sells is a Taig with a different set of ways. Several who post here have that version. PSI also sells a version of the Taig.

Nick Carter has the master site for taig - mostly metal work, but much is adaptable to pens and small wood turnings. (http://www.cartertools.com/)

If you get tired of the face plates, get a set of 3/4 by 16 taps and now tap maple blocks to screw onto the headstock to allow turning all kinds of things from peppermills to confetti candles to bird house ornaments.

Your pencil shows you are well on the way.

((I have two of them with one set for wood and the other for metal.)

Pipes

Lots of pipe makers have and use the Taig there a nice unit and built like a tank ! IMO I have one I use now and then more then than now BUT I would never part with it !! nice pen also !!![8D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom