Took another run at the old saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Hi folks,what we have here is a 3 wood closed end Citizen.The woods I used are Pauduk for the body with Yellow heart and Zebrawood inlays.The cap is a varied depth inlay pattern.While the bottom is done level.The starburst is cut in a 360 circle. The blue inaly at the top is sodalite trustone dust.I cut the groove after turning it close to size,filled it in using CA.

While not technically perfect,I'd say it's pretty good for using tools from the early part of the 20th century.

Attachments

• DSCF2809.jpg
    DSCF2809.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCF2810.jpg
    DSCF2810.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF2812.jpg
    DSCF2812.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Dale; I would say it's very good!!! Working in minature is extremely hard when you aren't sure of your final results until you turn it to size, and see what's left !! Great job. Jim S

eranox

Whoa! That is some impressive fancy-pantsery, sir! Really, really nice job with the inlays. That's one to be proud of!

OZturner

That Pen is something else, Dale.
My mind started to explode, just trying to imagine, what you did, where and when to accommodate all those Elements.
In particular considering it was constructed using non CNC type equipment.
While the fit may have some variations due to the construction equipment, Your Finish is Fantastic.
A Fantastic Endeavour, Splendidly Achieved.
Congratulations,
Brian.

sbwertz

Absolutely gorgeous pens!

What is your old saw? Mine is a 1948 Delta bandsaw that I got from my father, who got it from my grandfather. It is a 14 inch with a riser kit and handles a 3/4" blade with no problems. I love the old equipment...also have a southbend 9" metal lathe model 9A of about the same vintage, also from my grandfather, and a fifties era jointer.

Last edited:

Dale Lynch

Thanks, I'm glad yall like it.Question,I like doing this design but struggle to select contrasting woods when doing 3 woods or more.What kind of color combinations would you go with?

Sharon, the saw is a 1938 Millers Falls 1074A with a Craftsman 5"x26" backsaw.This baby will cut through a 5x7 at 45 degrees.I have a smaller one as well, it'll only cut 4" thick though.Filed the saw to crosscut teeth on it.

Top Bottom