Tomato Stake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from minus459

minus459

G'day, I bought some tomato stakes for the garden a year or so ago, they were in a bundle of 6 at the local hardware chain store and I noticed some spalting in one, so that's the bundle I picked. We only needed 4 stakes......woohoo. This is the result of a piece of it wrapped around a Jr Gent. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 434
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I'd have bought every single stake they had in the place. If one does that, it'd be a good guess to say the rest would....especially if you pound them into the ground for a growing season on them juicy tomatoes!

Although, with my acid reflux, I probably shouldn't be thinking about juicy tomatoes........

Truly a great find, and keep those photo's coming!!!!

Scott (but I love me a tomato) B

minus459

Thanks Scotty, but the garden belongs to the minister for war and finance and the grandies. I just picked the bundle with the spalted one for non gardening reasons. lol

plantman

I have also run into stakes like your's and turned them into great pens. My problem is that I can never figure out what kind of wood it is. Mine tended to be very light weight and a little punky. Do you know what your's is?? Jim S

Last edited:

w5brw

Bought a bunch a those stakes a few years ago, made some very interesting slimlines with them. if i remember correctly the wood was mango, some parts solid and others really punky. Several were turned with an 80 grit turning tool due to the soft nature. Lots of thin CA was required to stabilize and finish. Still have about 50 blanks left. :biggrin:

Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Bought a bunch a those stakes a few years ago, made some very interesting slimlines with them. if i remember correctly the wood was mango, some parts solid and others really punky. Several were turned with an 80 grit turning tool due to the soft nature. Lots of thin CA was required to stabilize and finish. Still have about 50 blanks left. :biggrin:

I have a piece of spalted mango on the finishing lathe, now. It looks VERY much like this pen. I will attach pics of the c/a'd cap for comparison My money goes to spalted mango

Attachments

• comparison blank_2170x1554.jpg
    comparison blank_2170x1554.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 74
  • comparison blank2_2094x1638.jpg
    comparison blank2_2094x1638.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 93
  • comparison blank3_2065x1608.jpg
    comparison blank3_2065x1608.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom