Tokyo Jr. Gent BLK TI (riokude)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TX_Planes

TX_Planes

This wood was purchased by my wife during a business trip to Tokyo. It was purchased at store called Tokyo four hands. A friend translated the name on the tag to be "riokude". Could be Zebra wood? Any thoughts?

BLO/CA finish on a Jr. Gent blk ti kit.

Attachments

• Tokoy jr gent2.jpg
    Tokoy jr gent2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 388
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't know where the "four" came into the name but she probably purchased it from a chain store (expensive) called Tokyu Hands.
http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/

The word "riokude" doesn't mean anything in Japanese that I know, and it is not in my dictionaries. The word does not resemble any kind of foreign wood that is written in the Japanese language either.

I will give you what I can on this - 90+ percent of what Tokyu Hands sells (in small pieces) is imported, so most likely it is not a Japanese wood. I do know that they sell zebra wood at times as it does resemble that.

Chris may be able to shed some light on it.

One more thing I will add - For foreign words - Tokyu Hands rarely ever lists the name of the wood from a printed label. Almost always, they take a label and hand write the wood species on it - often making it difficult to get accurate. If a person (the buyer) does not know of the wood species by name or sight, it is often difficult to determine strictly by the hand written name on the label. Shucks, I have asked sales persons before and they couldn't pronounce some of the names. :wink:

Last edited:

TX_Planes

Thanks for the replies.

Hank you're correct it I had the incorrect name. My wife said it was a very interesting store and she tought it was a chain store.

Thanks for the comments. I didn't hold out much hope that it was a local wood. Still a keeper because of the story and miles traveled.

chriselle

Not much to add to Hank's post. Tokyu Hands is pricey but interesting. My local supplier gave me a big slab of zebrawood a few years back and it does in fact look just like that.

Top Bottom