Today's Work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from winpooh498

Status
Not open for further replies.

winpooh498

Here are 6 pens, I turned this morning. All Myrtle Wood. From Left to right:
Americana, Gold Patriot, Gold Sierra, Gold Patriot, Chrome Patriot, Gold Patriot.

tn_myrtlewood72207.jpg

All have Mylands sanding sealer/Friction polish finish.
Thanks for looking, any and all comments welcome.

Dawn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtate

Nice. Why are you using Mylands? Its gloss is really temporary. For an item that will be touched a lot, it don't think Mylands is the right choice. Why not step up to CA or a simple lacquer dipped finish?

winpooh498

Originally posted by jtate
<br />Nice. Why are you using Mylands? Its gloss is really temporary. For an item that will be touched a lot, it don't think Mylands is the right choice. Why not step up to CA or a simple lacquer dipped finish?

So why do you feel CA or lacquer is a step up? How can you even compare a ca or lacquer finish to a properly applied friction polish? What makes CA or lacquer a "step up"? I ask these questions because these are my pens also winpooh498 is my wife so i do have an interest. We have been turning pens for more that 4 years we have done the ca finish as well as laquer. we feel that the mylands is a better finish. does that make us less of a penturner?

Shane

Tea Clipper

No, it doesn't make you any less of a penturner, so please don't get so defensive. I don't see anything from Julia that suggest that. Please continue to use the type of finish you feel is best, after all they are your pens. However, it has been shown time and again that a friction finish simply does not hold up it's shine like a CA or Lacquer finish does. If your okay with that - great. But there's no need to lash out on someone who is only making a suggestion.

winpooh498

Thank you to all who have looked and commented on our pens.

Ron,
It's not the suggestion that is the issue, it was the way she said it that offended me. I understand that the finish issue is very heated and I don't want to get in the middle of it. But there is a definite line drawn in the sand of those who do and those who do not use CA. For some reason some people associate your level of skill with whether or not you use a CA finish. By her using the words "step up", meaning I am a lower class turner because I don't like CA? I have done CA finishes and I will agree that you get a beautiful shine with it. But I do not like the feel of the pens with it. I have put a CA finish on some of my bottle stoppers, figuring that they might be in a kitchen and need the extra protection. But as for my pens I will continue to use friction polish.
Thank you very much and have a wonderful evening!
Dawn [:D]

Tea Clipper

Dawn,
Okay, I think I get it now. Can we agree that often is the case that newbies will start out with a friction polish and then come here to the forum looking for a more durable finish? So, because you prefer to use a friction polish, I'm guessing that occasionally you may feel like you are being mistaken for a newbie, is this correct? So, your husband was simply trying to defend your choice of finish (although it appeared to me as an attack). So, while her suggestion would have been food-for-thought to just about anyone else, unfortunately it was an unwelcome (although I'll assume unintentional) suggestion to you in particular. Does this sum it up? I kinda got myself into this, so I hope we can clear this up without any further misunderstandings.
Best,

Tea Clipper

You know, to play the devils advocate...

The particular point in question was that Mylands does not hold a gloss as long as some of the other finishes. <b>If a longer lasting gloss was desired</b>, wouldn't CA or lacquer indeed be a 'step-up'?

jtate

No offense was meant at all. Sorry if it was taken. I simply moved from Mylands to a simple CA finish to my current finish which is a combination of a CA finish AND dipped lacquer finish as my skills have increased. I think most of us start with Mylands then move to something else. I was just asking why you chose Mylands.

I do think CA or a lacquer finish is a step up from Mylands because of its durability. Everyone's entitled to their opinions. That's just mine. A person can have a different opinion from you and not be attacking you or trying to offend you.

Sorry. Didn't mean to step on a nerve.

In my own defense, if you've been on the site long, you'll note that I'm never on the attack or being critical of someone else's technique.

You did say "any and all comments welcome." To which my inner fourth grader says 'liar, liar, pants on fire.' I tried my best to rein in my inner fourth grader my and to give you the benefit of the doubt. Anyway - if you just want praise, not questions or even gentle suggestions - then just say so.

So there's that, Feel free to jump all over me if you need to do so.

Julia

winpooh498

Ron,
Sure we could agree that "most newbie's" start with a friction polish. But is it fair to assume that every one that uses friction polish is a "newbie"? I know for a fact that there are some "old timers" that make some of the best pens I have ever seen, who use the same finish as me! [:D]
Now that said. I think that the old saying fits here "When you ASSUME, you make an *** out of you and me" [:D] [:D] [:D]
Sure if I liked the way CA or Lacquer felt I would use it, but I don't.
My biggest complaint was the tone of the post that was made. And I took it off the forum to deal with because, I am here to meet people and share ideas, not cause problems or get tied up in the "politics". If you would like to debate/ discussion pen making WONDERFUL. But please DO NOT approach me in a condescending "my way is better then your way, so you are wrong" Type of attitude. I am open and willing to listen to any argument you might have in the matter. But be open to the fact that I might not agree with you or the majority. And I am OK with that. [:D]

Have a good night
Dawn

Tea Clipper

Originally posted by winpooh498
<br />Ron,
Sure we could agree that "most newbie's" start with a friction polish. But is it fair to assume that every one that uses friction polish is a "newbie"? I know for a fact that there are some "old timers" that make some of the best pens I have ever seen, who use the same finish as me! [:D]

That was what I was trying to say, if you would please re-read my post again.

My biggest complaint was the tone of the post that was made. And I took it off the forum to deal with because, I am here to meet people and share ideas, not cause problems or get tied up in the "politics". If you would like to debate/ discussion pen making WONDERFUL. But please DO NOT approach me in a condescending "my way is better then your way, so you are wrong" Type of attitude. I am open and willing to listen to any argument you might have in the matter. But be open to the fact that I might not agree with you or the majority. And I am OK with that. [:D]

Have a good night
Dawn

Excuse me? I said nothing of the sort, and this is exactly how feathers get ruffled.

Good night,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom