Adillo303

Today's pens

Bolt Action - Spalted cherry burl.
Navigator -Australian Cootamundra
Aero - Fire box elder
Le Roi Elegant lb -Australian Cootamundra
LE Roi Elegant lb - Redwood Burl
Aero - Amboyna burl

Thank you to several IAP members for blanks and to IAP for having so much information here. I have learned so much and I have a lot to learn.

C & C always welcome

Thank You

Andy

Attachments

• 20131124_185250.jpg
    20131124_185250.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Andy, That is a Great Display of Pens,
The Blanks match the Pens Beautifuly,
The Fit and Finish looks Terrific,
What Finish did you use?
It is a shame that the photograph is not in Sharp Focus, it makes the detail of the pens "fuzzy"
Congratulations,
Brian

robutacion

Today's pens

Bolt Action - Spalted cherry burl.
Navigator -Australian Cootamundra
Aero - Fire box elder
Le Roi Elegant lb -Australian Cootamundra
LE Roi Elegant lb - Redwood Burl
Aero - Amboyna burl

Thank you to several IAP members for blanks and to IAP for having so much information here. I have learned so much and I have a lot to learn.

C & C always welcome

Thank You

Andy

G'day Andy,

I can see that you already have put to good use, some of the Cootamundra Wattle blanks you won on my last "question game"...!

Yes the pic looks a little blurry from thin end, not showing the pens right but, I can see what you've done and yes, they are all very good...!

I wonder if you could re-set the barrels position on that double barrel pen, I can see the "vein" being interrupted by not having it matched, being a "caped" pen they look better grain/veins matched with the pen closed, well that's my opinion, anyways...!:wink::biggrin:

Keep up the good work...!

Cheers
George

Adillo303

On this site in the vendor forums. George's bits of timber. Thread entitled "should be called rainbow wood, but it's not".

siric

[for some reason this posted in the wrong thread and I can't get it deleted]

Hi Andy,

Excellent finish!! In step 6, you say that you seal the ends with CA. How so you apply it - just a wipe?

Would be great if you could post a shaper image!!

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:

Adillo303

Siric - I use thin CA, and just wipe the tip around. If I didn't say it, I lost a few pens because the end grain wicked up the water from the wet polishing.

Also, if I didn't say it, the Beall wood buff step is my way of getting rid of sanding lines. The blank comes off there quite highly polished. I have laid a few carpets in my day and seen what a small imperfection can do.

Adillo303

I understand, I have worked on my finish over a year. I still screw some up. I was nervous with so many really nice blanks in play.

OZturner

Last edited:

robutacion

Australian Cootamundra

Never heard of this before. Tried to google it, and got a town in NSW. Is that the real name or something locals call it or ?
The timber is Acacia baileyana or Cootamundra wattle, its common name given after the N.S.W. town.
Acacia's are very diverse species in Australia, and can provide some spectacular timber for turning.
FYI Wattles, genus Acacia - Australian Plant Information
Brian.

Thanks Brian,

I was going to reply and , explain that the search results didn't provided the answer simply because the word "Wattle" was missing after Cootamundra.

Yes, Acacias/Wattles species/varieties numbers in Australia, is not far from the 1,000 so, I reckon, we have a few...!

Cheers
George

plano_harry

Really nice work Andy. Looks like you picked up the CA technique well. I agree with George. I think the Navigator is a triple start thread. Does it line up better on a different thread?

Are you uploading 800x600 on your pics? Don't know what else could cause the problem if your original is sharper.

Harry

Adillo303

I fixed the navigator. The barrel on the navigator is threaded on both ends. I thought had pressed the pen do things matched. After y'all pointed it out, I realized that I had switched end on the barrel when I put it all together.

Thank you for pointing it out, it looks much better fixed.

I have spent a lot of time on my CA finish. I still have things to learn. I can't get it to stick to ebony or pink ivory and sometimes purple heart.

Thank you all again for the kind words.

Andy

Bean_Counter

I have spent a lot of time on my CA finish. I still have things to learn. I can't get it to stick to ebony or pink ivory and sometimes purple heart.

Thank you all again for the kind words.

Andy

Andy on the oily woods wipe the blank down with DNA let it evaporate off and then put on your ca. I do this all the time with cocobolo and ebony and never have a problem. Love the cherry burl :biggrin:

Top Bottom