Today's Pen 8/29/12

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from schreiber

schreiber

A ballpoint today. It's a gift for my stepdaughter (the others will get wind of this soon, I'm sure :rolleyes: ); not everyone is as crazy about fountain pens as I am. Satin nickel furniture, twist ballpoint. Swapped in a blue refill for the one that came with the kit.

I tried some suggestions kindly given to me last night:
⚫ Used a skew -- much better than a gouge. I'm still getting used to it, but it's great!
⚫ Wet sanding! What a difference it makes.
⚫ My photography -- proper orientation of the pen, and did away with the busy backgrounds.
Thanks, y'all. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Very well done! When I first started out, my pictures were taken with a new white t-shirt as the back drop on my bathroom counter. The wife would come in and and ask where her makeup was, and I would smile and pull one of her makeup bottles out from underneath the shirt. I would use it to prop up the pens while I snap the shot. Here is an example:

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Last edited:

schreiber

Thanks again, y'all. I appreciate the kind words and all the free advice!

@ Canadian: Yep, you busted me :D Tough bedliner, but it's slick. Everything in the bed slides around and gets banged up. I was real nervous carrying my new lathe home.

@ Seamus: I tried white, but my auto camera (iPhone) adjusted for the white, making the pen too dark. You made it work for you, though; good shots! Maybe I should un-lazy myself and dig out one of my real digi-cams.

@ Billy: I am mentally preparing myself. And thanks. :) Purple is growing on me.

LabTrnr

Nice pen and nice photo. The background is interesting and doesn't take away from the subject. Our club had a photography demo by one of our members that made a very good living taking product pictures. He showed many photos with "unusual" backgrounds that worked very well and yours looks like something he would have done.

bryfox86

that is beautiful acrylic... where do you get your from... if you dont mind me asking... I just know my wife would love one is this color!

Top Bottom