Today's Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

Update: The last photo was taken using a new method - I painted my clear acrylic pen stand flat black and replaced the glossy black granite tile I was placing my pens on to photograph with black velvet to match the background. My goal was to eliminate all distracting elements in my photos leaving only the pen.

I bought this mini pinecone blank at the Florida/George Penturners Gathering (I think from Muttblanks) and it's been calling my name each time I went looking over my blanks for the next project. This blank wasn't really suitable for brass/aluminum inlay as it was already way busy, but I did manage to come up with a nice way to include some segmenting which is my current passion.

This blank turned nicely despite the embedded pine cones which you would think would pose a possible risk of causing a catch. After sanding up through the Micromesh pads I finished it by putting a drop of BLO on a shop paper towel and then a few drops of thin CA on top of that and then brisking applied it to the blank with the lathe running fast...about a dozen times.

The Slimline's a solid classic and by holding down my cost I'm fine with giving this pen to a friend as a gift.

Last edited:
Top Bottom