See more from 65GTMustang

65GTMustang

From left to right....
Feather Blank
Dyed Cobra Snake Skin Blank
Sand Rattler
Ostrich Leather (neck leather)
Feather Blank

If anyone can help answer or offer suggestions on a fix for the discoloration of the Ostrich Leather blank - Please let me know???
The leather was solid light brown in color - The poly resin turned it
black???

Same situation on the Cobra Skin - It's original dyed colors were vivid - Red and Blue - The red is ok - The Blue turned really really dark blue, or black....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Lots of fun! Todays Fun.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Ostrich skin did the same thing for me on several occasions, plus it is so thick. The same thing happened when I tried alligator skin. I tried dyed snake skin (don't remember what kind) also and was quite disappointed in the results which were much the same as yours. My thoughts are there are too many other things that cast so much better that I stopped working with materials that give problems. I don't have a need to solve the problem with a material that doesn't work. I just move on to others and find the ones that work. Good luck in figuring it out. Sorry, I was not much help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

From left to right....
Feather Blank
Dyed Cobra Snake Skin Blank
Sand Rattler
Ostrich Leather (neck leather)
Feather Blank

If anyone can help answer or offer suggestions on a fix for the discoloration of the Ostrich Leather blank - Please let me know???
The leather was solid light brown in color - The poly resin turned it
black???

Same situation on the Cobra Skin - It's original dyed colors were vivid - Red and Blue - The red is ok - The Blue turned really really dark blue, or black....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Lots of fun!View attachment 47021

seamus7227

This is funny, sorry kevin, but when I cast the same colored cobra you sent me, I coated it with med CA, pre-heated in the toaster oven @ 150 degrees for 10 minutes(heated PR in ultrasonic cleaner for 8 minutes with maximum heat{approx. 155degrees}) Poured resin in the molds(PtownSubbie made the molds I use! And My results are stunning!) Then hand picked bubbles using dental picks purchased from HF, and replaced molds back into the toaster oven for another 10 minutes @ 150 degrees, once timer goes off, let blanks cool to room temp, then remove(typically the next day) and blanks are good to go! I actually experienced no bleed out from the dyes in the skins. Now the ostrich is a different story, I too, had the same results. Not sure if this helps anyone, its just what works for me. Thanks for letting me share

terryf

Its more than likely the heat, have you tried using cold resins?

Shouldn't have any affect on the material at all but could be a bit more expensive; depends how badly you want to use that material I suppose!

Top Bottom