Today's effort

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Big

Big

I am struggling with "Fat Lady" syndrome and trying very hard to correct that issue. Hopefully, what I did today is better? Started with a blue/white acrylic and nice little Caro Walnut blank.

Attachments

• Caro Walnut A.jpg
    Caro Walnut A.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Milk Ice A.jpg
    Milk Ice A.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

I like the lines of those two.
I really like the look of the blue one, bit hard to see the other one properly with the harsh side-lighting and out of focus, but the shape looks good to me.

you are doing great, I have and had the same syndrome, I find if I get on the side of my lathe and look at it facing me instead of sideways, I can better see the profile and then I can make more adjustments

Reactions: Big

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Looks really nice Michael. The fit and finish on the blue one looks very good. It's bit hard to tell on the other one. Keep up the great work. William had a good idea on checking the profile.

turncrazy43

Profiles look much better on these two. The first few efforts usually end up a bit fat as you learn to turn and get a better idea of scale. Your getting better each time with your turning. Remember keep practicing, there are no failures just opportunitys to improve.

SteveG

You did great, generally speaking. As for the tendency to "go fat", you are well on the road to recovery. After you have made a few more pens, it will become 2nd nature to build in a gentle curve, and It will be easy. You constant striving to 'get the hang of it' is paying off, and even though these are early pens, this one is showing appreciation for good and balanced pen design. Keep having fun! Since you are now hooked with no avenue of escape :eek:, do as the rest of us in this shared dire situation are doing: have more fun than you ever thought you were allowed to have.:)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mike: Yup, the "Ladies" are on a diet. (But we really should be more polite and be non-gender specific). So..., the "pens" are on a diet!!! The claro walnut pen as previously mentioned, is hard to critique, but the form looks good. I believe the fit at the bottom tip is slightly proud??? (Calipers).

I do like claro walnut, but depending on the cut of the blank I've gotten, they can be a challenge depending on the grain patterns.

Turning bowls and candle/tea cups, Claro Walnut is beautiful, but I struggle with end grain (alas, I don't have the time to turn for 30 hrs this month to learn by practice - which is how I learn the best).

The acrylic pen looks nice! The upper and lower barrels look very different in coloration. Wondering if it was from the same blank. But, very nice!

Be well, Mike!

plano_harry

Big, it may be the perspective, but it looks like the tops are smaller than the bottom which looks odd to me. I like the blue one better.

If you have some calipers you can turn the lower until it is a little smaller than the top. The slim looks good with a little curve to it. I have my own style, but I have read that if you aren't turning straight, "artistically" the widest part of each tube should be about 1/3 of the length down the tube -- in other words for the lower, 1/3 of the tube length from the centerband would be your widest part and taper the last 2/3 smoothly to the nib. Like in photography the main point of interest should be at the intersection of one of those 1/3 lines. Then you will have a rule you can break and feel creative :tongue:

tgsean

Michael, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have customers who specifically want fatter pens. I really like the blue and white acrylic. By the way what finish is on the Walnut pen?

GaryMGg

Hi Michael,
I think the lines on your acrylic pen here are fine.
However, if you want to practice making straight-line slimlines similar to the metal Cross pen, I suggest a couple of things:
1. Turn between centers using high quality TBC slimline bushings.
2. Use any old wood you can find so long as it's dry OR use corian.
3. Once most of the blank is taken down, turn the barrel ends all the way even to the bushings, then bring the middle portion in line with it making it straight.
4. Don't be afraid to turn too far--remember this is practice and the wood is disposable.
5. When you're done, turn the blank all the way off the tube and do it again. Rinse and repeat.

Once you feel like you've mastered your technique, then make a pen.

That worked for me.

Big

Gary, (GaryMGg)
What are TBC bushings and where do you get them? I will absolutely work on your suggestions and thank you for making them. This is the best bunch of folks that I have ever had the privilege of getting to know. I am learning and loving the entire experience more than I can possibly say.
Big

scjohnson243

Big -
The bushings are what you need to "Turn Between Centers" (TBC) you will turn the tubes straight on the lathe without using a mandrel -- The guy that I hear most people recommend is someone here, his site is:

Penturners Products!

you will need live/dead center I believe to do this, but there has been quite a bit of talk about that recenetly here, so I'm sure there are a few threads that walk you through exactly what you need...

Good luck!!

GaryMGg

Hi Michael
I got my turn between centers bushings and tooling from JohnnyCNC, as linked above (Penturners. Products).
I got them more than a year ago and they're still going great.

Top Bottom