Todays Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dubdrvrkev

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

This is Mesquite in black chome Cigar. Not a real flashy pen but very solid, I'm very happy with it.

200551652330_mesquite%20cigar%20009%20crop.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Thanks everybody!
I am on the fence about the black chrome kits, but I have a few and I thought it worked here. I am probably one of the few who doesn't like gold, so I am always trying the alternative platings. Unfortunatley it seems like the gold pens sell pretty easy, so I do make them but usually only upon request.

dubdrvrkev

I put a little BLO on after sanding to 400, but nothing special is done. I've been getting my Mesquite from Dario and it all looks more-or-less like this. Its great stuff. I owe quite a few of my nicer blanks to him actually.

Dario

Originally posted by rtparso
<br />Did you do anything to make the grain show? The Mesquite I have harvested had been monotone.

From experience, it seems like the older trees produce deeper color variations. I also learned that (most) mesquite will turn reddish with prolonged exposure to sunlight...almost like cherry does.

The blanks I sell are mostly from (approximately) 50+ year old trees...one batch I had is actually about 3 feet in diameter, I cannot even guess how old the tree was. That yielded the best blanks I got so far. I jealously set aside a few of the best for myself [}:)] [:D]

Most that I have now are from about 24" diameter trunks. The smaller ones (10" diameter or so) I usually sell for bowl blanks. I will be ripping some root/trunk base area soon and they look very promising. Not sure how much I will get from it but the swirly figure will surely make it interesting.

Look out for old trees...the bigger the better [:I] and BTW, the damaged areas usually produce the best pen blanks too so don't scrap them off right away. Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom