Today I turned my very first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Foxfirek

Foxfirek

image.jpg

This is my first pen ever, as well as my first project for my new harbor freight lathe. The lathe worked great and the pen has no flaws. I used shellawax for the finish, and the other pen parts all came from psi. I'm looking foreward to making a lot more pens on my next day off work.
-Jillian from Santa Cruz-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Foxfirek

To be honest I haven't a clue. Psi did not state what the laminates were, even if they did I wouldn't trust them because the blanks I got we're different then they listed. Lol.

Very cool, and great first pen. PSI also makes an economic modified slimline style, I believe its called "Comfort Funline", basically same parts except a wider centerband that allows for a little more pen girth. I made a bunch of this style as I was learning, and still like it for its size. My guess at the woods are Walnut and Padauk.

alamocdc

Nice first, Jillian. Many of us started with simple slimline... and Shellawax. It won't take long to move on to more challenging styles and finishes. But I still do my share of slims. the upper and lower barrels look to be a bit proud of the fittings. But this is not uncommon when you are just starting out. Your lines on both barrels are nice and straight, and that isn't all that easy to do (and why many pen turners bulge their barrels). You will get more comfortable with getting the barrels flush with the fittings as you turn more pens. Keep it up!

Foxfirek

I think my biggest challenge was getting the tubes glued into the pen blanks, my first one dried way faster then I was able to seat it. I ended up using a clamp to get it in. Now that I have made one pen I think I will be a little more confident with he lathe and making the blanks a tad trimmer, though it might take a few tries to get it right. I was paranoid the pen would break. This was my first lathe use in about 10 years and I had never made anything nearly as thin.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Looks great. What is the material?

Jim

Actually, I'm pretty sure that is Padauk and Walnut blanks. PSI sells them pared riled. Great way to "get your feet wet."

You did a nice job there. The only thing I can see has already been pointed out. The top part of the lower barrel seems a tad proud of the bushing. But I gotta tell you, that looks so very much better than my first 5 pens!

Justturnin

Nice one. Did you segment that yourself?

Here is a link I like to give new turners that helped me a lot to grow my game and skills. It is all of Kurt Hertzog's articles from Woodturning Design on pen turning (they are at the top of the page) I still read them when I find myself having issues and getting away from the basics.

Articles, Demos & Classes by Kurt Hertzog

Lenny

A great first pen! Don't ever part with it! Do as I say not as I do .... I accidentally gave my first one away (after I had given it to my wife):eek::redface:.

Haynie

There is something special about the first. Of course after the 10th 20th etc you look at the first and say "Wow, look at those mistakes" but you say it with a smile.

Jjartwood

NOW! contact all of your friends and let them know that when you disappear for days on end they should call you and say " step away from the lathe "
Great first pen,Your next one is always your favorite but your first one is special.
Mark

ALexG

Those PSI blanks are called EZ miniblanks and comes in a variety pack for 10 pens I always buy them, they sell very well, yours I'm sure is padauk with Cocobolo, I like your pen usually first pens are curvy because is easier than turning it straight. About the finishing, In my case I started with shellawax, then learnt the CA finish and used for a while and I still use it sometimes for expensive pens, but came back to Shellawax, CA gives a plastic look, Shellawax finish is more natural however not long lasting as CA. I see from your picture that you could get a shinier finish with shellawax if the lathe is used at high speed until you feel the heat building under your applicator, and a couple of coats of course. For gluing the pens use thick CA which the curing point is longer thank thin or expoy which is 5' min, you are in teh right path, hope to see more pens from you soon

Last edited:

azamiryou

Great job, welcome to the addiction!

I got some of those pre-drilled PSI blanks. They're quick and easy, but I was disappointed that they didn't come in grain-matched pairs. I prefer to have the grain match across the center band.

Joe Burns

great 1st pen. Much better than my first. Keep up the good work. Using 5 minute epoxy will solve the gluing the tube problem you had. I quit using CA to glue my tubes in for that reason.

Joe

Foxfirek

Thank you everyone for all the positive comments. I'm now up to 9 pens made, and one failure. I ended up with small cracks in a few when clamping them so I bought a pen press which is helping a ton. I love making the pens and I'm looking foreward to trying new types.
Jillian from Santa Cruz-

Top Bottom