Titanium Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from talbot

talbot

Ive no idea what the wood is I'm afraid other than its a burr ( Im British):)
of some sort.
Filled in a few of the holes with some padauk dust and the finish is CA.
Nice colour, just wish I knew what it was, maybe someone will tell me?

TitaniumSierraunknownburr.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Nice pen. This kind of wood looks great on Sierra. Can I ask where do you purchase Sierra kits from ?

Hi George
I get the kits from : http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/acatalog/Pen_Collection.html
When they attend the UK trade shows they usually do a show special price of 5 kits for around £32 Sterling.
They're not that cheap but I think the only ones in the UK with the Titanium. Very nice company to deal with however.
regards, Bill

talbot

I would vote Thyua Burl (or burr, if you talk funny:tongue:). Nice looking pen though!

That one rings a bell with me Brian, and I'll have a bit of respect from you regarding the Queens English..:) You colonials!!,, its the one thing we failed on with you lot,, teaching you to talk properly,, mind you its even worse with the Oz bunch!:eek:but at least they have nice weather over there and a good selection of burls,, I mean Burrs:)
regards, Bill
(English lessons at reasonable rates)

Munsterlander

Also looks like Afzelia burl to me - I have the same kit with some Afzelia burl in my notebook right now and they look very similar. Nice job.

Last edited:

philb

Nice looking pen! If you think the wood might be native, I have some oak burr that is similar but not sure the grain is coarse enough!

Thats a pretty good deal on the Sierra pens for £32! Ill have to try and spot them at th trade shows! even of there site its still competitive with teh dollar exchange at the moment!

hstudio

I am 95% certain that burr is Afzelia.....If it smelled a bit "clay-like" when you worked it, you got Afzelia Burl!

Here is a pick of an Afzelia slab in my shop....it is rough and sealed with shellac.

Attachments

• DSC_0245 copy.jpg
    DSC_0245 copy.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 92

talbot

I am 95% certain that burr is Afzelia.....If it smelled a bit "clay-like" when you worked it, you got Afzelia Burl!

Here is a pick of an Afzelia slab in my shop....it is rough and sealed with shellac.

Ive got a couple more blanks in the workshop and it does look like this so i'll call it Afzelia.:)
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.
regards, Bill

Top Bottom