Titanium Euro with fins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from btboone

Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

Here's another titanium pen based on the 7mm Euro guts. It has black titanium kit parts and has a blue to seafoam anodizing fade. The outside is a brushed finish. It's actually not uncomfortable to write with. I had to tweak the program a bit since the last one I made had a concentricity issue where the drill walked a little in the deep hole. I solved the issue by drilling the stock from both ends. This one was made for an order. I have a couple other fairly cool wood pens in the works that were meant for Provo, but I haven't been able to work on them lately.

20056944054_Fins2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bud duffy

Bruce that is one very cool pen!! What kind of price point do you have on that one if you dont mind my asking, not that i could afford one like that right now? Bud

nilsatcraft

I've been thumbing through these higher end pen catalogs and yours would fit right in- but it's even better in many ways. I'm <b>totally</b> impressed with the pens you come up with. Great job!

btboone

Thanks guys. This one wasn't that groundbreaking or anything, but I just wanted to show that I'm still alive and kicking. I haven't been able to do many pens lately, so I need to take pics of the few I do. [:)] This one sells for $195, which is actually a relative bargain because it took most of the night to produce it. As you can see, I posted at 12:41 am. Edward, I make it on a CNC lathe. I have a picture of it in a thread where I talked about my titanium twist fountain pen. You could do a search by member and look for the long thread.

JimGo

Bruce, $195 is a very nice price for that pen. If you decide to make some more, we have some high-end stationery shops around here that might be interested!

btboone

I appreciate the kudos guys. Jim, I could make more of those with little problem. The trick is to make them while I still have it figured out. The time and effort come in when I have to change around the setup and try to figure out what I've done before. As an example, when I was changing out my tools, I was indexing the turret and watching the tool I wanted coming around. Suddenly the turret stopped and an error message popped up. It had a chuck interference error. I looked down and a carbide drill bit had indexed right between the center of the chuck jaws! [:0] Had the spindle been rotated a couple degrees either way, it would have snapped off the expensive drill very easily. This kind of stuff only happens when I set up to machine something new, so I need to set aside a lot of time and try to document all the little things that I need to do in order to run a part and not have the mishaps like that. Something simple like the drill wobble issue could have easily been a show stopper on this pen, and it took quite a bunch of thinking and effort to overcome the issue. I also killed two grooving inserts dialing in the right feeds and speeds. [B)] Now that I finally have it all working OK, the next ones won't be as difficult and should work the first time out.

btboone

Hi Rick, I run the titanium slow. It can certainly be run a lot faster but tools tend to die a lot quicker. It doesn't make sense to ruin a tool insert and an expensive part to save a little time unless the machine time gets to be the major holdup. (Selling them that fast seems to be the holdup at this point.) [:)] I now have the long part drilled from both sides. Cycle time is probably around 4 minutes for the first side and 8 minutes for the second side with the outside turning and grooves. The small side probably takes something like 10 minutes. There is a little hand lathe work to do to file the fins to take off the sharp edges. The anodizing is around 5 minutes with lathe cleanup on the outer surface. Then there is the pen assembly stuff. So all combined, if I were to push on efficiency and have everything dialed in, I should be able to do them in under an hour complete. The time would go down if I were to do batches of parts, say 5 side 1's before changing over to side 2. This gets up to more the productivity rate I achieve with the rings.

JimGo

Bruce,
Should you decide to move into the "limited edition" pen arena, please let me know. I'll give you the names of some local stores that sell some very nice pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom