Titanim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

A friend sent me a rod of Titanium. I do not know the grade. Three pens came of it. The stuff is too hard to work with without the proper tools.

Pens - 4-30-10 Titanium 3 Second.jpg

Pens - 4-30-10 Titanium 3.jpg

Pens - 4-30-10 Titanium Single Third.jpg

Pens - 4-30-10 Titanium Third Single 2.jpg

Pens - 4-30-10 Titanium Third.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I'm surprised after the first attempt you didn't bail out. That's determination! The pens themselves...well I don't want to say anything bad about all your hard work, so I'll just say they don't excite me too much.

Jgrden

I'm surprised after the first attempt you didn't bail out. That's determination! The pens themselves...well I don't want to say anything bad about all your hard work, so I'll just say they don't excite me too much.
You are right in saying so. I was not happy with the results either. Different set of tools is needed. I tried to outfox the stuff with ice, but that is hard to do.

Jgrden

And without the right tools, you won't find me around Titanium.

bitshird

John it's really hard to take a light cut on TI since it work hardens CP (commercially pure) isn't as as bad because there is no vanadium, but T6al/ 4v has enough vanadium to make life and the metal HARD, it's also about the most common grade around, pretty much the aerospace /aircraft industry stuff. Is the coloring from heat, or is it Anodized? Good C6 carbide or even better, ceramic tooling is nice, I have a couple of CBN inserts, but someone borrowed my holder and I've been too lazy to make another one.
Not bad for a first try!!

Jgrden

John it's really hard to take a light cut on TI since it work hardens CP (commercially pure) isn't as as bad because there is no vanadium, but T6al/ 4v has enough vanadium to make life and the metal HARD, it's also about the most common grade around, pretty much the aerospace /aircraft industry stuff. Is the coloring from heat, or is it Anodized? Good C6 carbide or even better, ceramic tooling is nice, I have a couple of CBN inserts, but someone borrowed my holder and I've been too lazy to make another one.
Not bad for a first try!!
It came from a friend of mine who is a rocket scientist so it must be top grade. Must have too much vanadium in it. I'd like to try another form of Titanium. The color comes from torching it.

btboone

Titanium is indeed some tough stuff. Worse than turning it is trying to drill deep holes into it. You can watch high speed steel drills die instantly.

Jgrden

Titanium is indeed some tough stuff. Worse than turning it is trying to drill deep holes into it. You can watch high speed steel drills die instantly.
Tell me, what grade titanium should I be working with for pens?? 1% of me hasn't given up.

btboone

I use 6Al4V which is hard and finishes well. Commercially pure is easier to cut. It gets a little gummy, somewhat like copper does but lights on fire when it gets too hot. Be sure to keep any and all dust collection and sawdust away when turning it.

bitshird

I use 6Al4V which is hard and finishes well. Commercially pure is easier to cut. It gets a little gummy, somewhat like copper does but lights on fire when it gets too hot. Be sure to keep any and all dust collection and sawdust away when turning it.

Bruce what tooling are you using?

Jgrden

Duly recorded and a request for new Ti will be made.
Thank you.
John

Top Bottom