Tiger Striped Pradauk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from devowoodworking

Here's an artist sketch pencil which shows off some stunning tiger striped Narra:D

20087619528_tigerpradauk.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

One of my favorite woods! I love the smell of it while turning it. I'd say you did this piece proud! Beautiful pencil!

Scott.

I've never seen a tiger striped paduak... great looking pen.

I've had to pull all the paduak out of my shop.. I think I'm sensitive to the wood and break out in a terrible rash when I turn it. At least I know I'm sensitive to some wood and the last time I broke out I was doing some bottle stoppers in Paduak - along with some other woods.

Dario

superb!!!

its almost Amboyna!
Turned out nice. Looks like Amboyna.

Thats some of the nicest paduk I have ever seen..Good job showcasing it

That is the nicest piece of Paduk I've seen, ...

I've never seen a tiger striped paduak... great looking pen.

I've had to pull all the paduak out of my shop.. I think I'm sensitive to the wood and break out in a terrible rash when I turn it. At least I know I'm sensitive to some wood and the last time I broke out I was doing some bottle stoppers in Paduak - along with some other woods.

A little trivia guys...

Praduak is NARRA...the burl of which is called AMBOYNA.

It is NOT Paduk/Paduak/Padouk/Padauk.

Great looking pencil and for the record, I love curly narra which is rarer than amboyna really.

Last edited:

bitshird

I think it's a dirty trick!!! having two totally dissimilar woods, that sort of look alike kind of spelled close, and from opposite ends of the world, Dario thanks for the
lesson, Now you can I volunteer you to write the Wood ID chapters for the IAP Penturners Handbook???? Scott will be wanting someone smart like you

Kaspar

Great pencil and a great wood!

A little trivia guys...

Praduak is NARRA...the burl of which is called AMBOYNA.

It is NOT Paduk/Paduak/Padouk/Padauk.

Great looking pencil and for the record, I love curly narra which is rarer than amboyna really.

Padauk is in the dictionary and that's good enough. Yes, it is Pterocarpus indicus, and is synonymous with amboyna. Narra is the one word for it that is not in the dictionary. :biggrin:

I did a Tiger Padauk Imperial Black Ti a while back. I offered a freebie to a "respected acqaintance," and he chose that one. I will hand deliver it to him on my Christmas trip to points east this year.

I also have another piece I finally found - I thought I'd lost it during my recent move- and it's even better than the one I used for the Imperial. The tiger striping / curl is very distinct all the way around the blank, which is a bit unusual. They generally fade out on the sides. That one will go into a Gold Imperial, methinks. Or another Black Ti.

Great pencil and a great wood!
Padauk is in the dictionary and that's good enough. Yes, it is Pterocarpus indicus, and is synonymous with amboyna. Narra is the one word for it that is not in the dictionary. :biggrin:

Eric, I can definitely tell you that this pencil was NOT made from Padauk (one of my favorite woods for making my puzzles) and Dario is correct that it is 'curly narra'. I have a lot of experience working padauk and it is nothing like narra!:wink:

Kaspar

Eric, I can definitely tell you that this pencil was NOT made from Padauk (one of my favorite woods for making my puzzles) and Dario is correct that it is 'curly narra'. I have a lot of experience working padauk and it is nothing like narra!:wink:

Yes, I see what Dario was saying now. My mistake for misreading him. However, I still cannot find Narra or pradauk in the dictionary (not a slam dunk as there are many words I know that don't seem to be in the dictionary- "orthagonally" comes to mind.) What is it's scientific classification? I do find narra at some hardwood flooring stores, and ebay has some as well. Does it have another name?

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes Narra (pterocarpus indicus) is confused with Padauk (pterocarpus soyaurxii) but I would say more at the marketing stage than the purchase end:wink:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Regardless of the source, this is wrong.

This is getting more confusing, and taking away from a good pen.

pa·dauk Audio Help (pə-dôk') Pronunciation Key
n. In both senses also called amboyna.

1. A southeast Asian tree (Pterocarpus indicus) having reddish wood with a mottled or striped black grain.
  2. The wood of this tree, used mainly for decorative cabinetwork.

BigRob777

Wow, I have, pradauk and what I thought was a different wood narra, or New Guinea Rosewood. Man that wood has a lot of names. It's funny, but padauk has somewhat similar graining (as in open). Very nice pen. You did a great job bringing out the curl.
Rob

Thanks for those two links Rob, Paul Hinds who runs the 'website' is a wealth of information on wood species and he has some very nice veneers as well:wink:

Top Bottom