Tied Fly Elegant Beauty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

With two Almond Church Window pheasant feathers and two #14 tied flies cast in Polyester Resin

The EB kit has Titanium Gold / Black Titanium plating.

Turned, sanded to 400 grit, buffed with fine steel wool and polished with Huts Ultra Gloss.

Thanks to Rob for his ideas and the guys over at FWw for their ideas and suggestions on fly sizes.

Les

xzn04.jpg

wu1g02.jpg

xuat4.jpg

mvoy2e.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Les PLEASE STOP, LOL you're making me crazy with your incredible work, I was also wondering how much resin was left over the top of the flys?? it is an amazing pen, I wish I could pull that off.

bitshird

My SIL saw your reconfigured wood blanks, that's all I heard about all day long, Thank heavens he's not a fisherman, But I am!! dDd you nip the eye off the hook,or bend it so it would lay flat? or is it still in place, that seems the most likely spot to get in trouble.

RAdams

Banned
Outstanding work! That is really cool looking!

I was flirting with an idea at one time, to replace the finial with a cast fly inside, but never thought of your idea. really sharp!

PenMan1

Les, now that IS pushing the envelope on pen making! Exactly what this forum is all about! Nice work.... This SHOULD BE ON THE HOME PAGE as Featured pen!!!!!

rd_ab_penman

My SIL saw your reconfigured wood blanks, that's all I heard about all day long, Thank heavens he's not a fisherman, But I am!! dDd you nip the eye off the hook,or bend it so it would lay flat? or is it still in place, that seems the most likely spot to get in trouble.

I did not alter the hook in any way. I don't want the fly to lay too flat and take away from the 3D effect.

Les

jtdesigns

I would guess the hook eye is not a problem. I have tied hundreds of flies in the 20-22 size range and the eye is really tiny. I would have more concern about the hackle fibers not lying flat. More than likely he trimmed the side facing out to flat. I did a pen for a fishing buddy and where I put nymphs (no, not ones your thinking about) all around the pen tube and cast in resin. Lost lots of my earlier photos from hard drive crash so............no picture..didn't happen (but it was pretty damn cool!!).

ToddMR

OMG! My dad would so LOVE a pen like that hehe. He is a fly tying person. Very good job it looks really nice!

wizard

This is my second post to this thread. Just wanted the powers that be to know that when I open the IAP site homepage to show a friend it would be cool to see a picture of this pen pop up.:) Doc

PenMan1

Les PLEASE STOP, LOL you're making me crazy with your incredible work, I was also wondering how much resin was left over the top of the flys?? it is an amazing pen, I wish I could pull that off.

I'd bet the resin is so thin that you could "hook" yourself if you weren't really careful!

AS USUAL, BEAUTIFUL WORK, LES!

Top Bottom