Ti Gold, Colised End Baron in Cocobolo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mbroberg

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This is one of the blanks that I won in the Super Bowl pool. Fittingly, it came from the man who organized the pool, Bobleibo. Next to the fact that the wood is beautiful (and I have another one:)) I consider this to be my best CA finish to date. Not too shiny, feels nice and no streaks!!:biggrin:

1_1003060000a.jpg
1_1003060000b.jpg

Thanks for looking. Constructive critiques always welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Enlarge the second pic, from the album pages, the color changes back to "cocobolo". The first pic seems to have lost some red in translation.

Nice pen, nice length on the closed end.

So, did it SMELL like cocobolo or bocote???

mbroberg

Thanks. I'll do some checking. It was marked Cocobolo when I got it. I'm still leaning that way but will certainly do a little more digging. I don't want to mis-represent it. Now that it has been called into question I just may have to keep the pen for myself:).

These pictures are from www.wood-database.com

The first is Cocobolo, second is Bacote.

Attachments

• cocobolo.jpg
    cocobolo.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 140
  • bocote.jpg
    bocote.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 133

mbroberg

So, did it SMELL like cocobolo or bocote???

I couldn't tell which one it smelled like. It has been a while since I turned either, I think I only turned Bacote once, Cocobolo maybe twice. For what it's worth, my arm, the one that caught the dust, is starting to itch:eek:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I couldn't tell which one it smelled like. It has been a while since I turned either, I think I only turned Bacote once, Cocobolo maybe twice. For what it's worth, my arm, the one that caught the dust, is starting to itch:eek:

Could be either one, but odds are leaning toward Cocobolo. I was going to ask if your nose was running, eyes were itching or rash was breaking out---but that COULD be either, too.

bobleibo

I am 99.99999% positive I sent cocobolo, especially since I have never had any bocote. That along with the itchy arm seals the deal. Cocobolo is just like Makore, the dust will cause you all kinds of uncomfortable itching.
That is a great looking pen Mike. One of these days I am going to turn a closed end.
Cheers
Bob

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am 99.99999% positive I sent cocobolo, especially since I have never had any bocote. That along with the itchy arm seals the deal. Cocobolo is just like Makore, the dust will cause you all kinds of uncomfortable itching.
That is a great looking pen Mike. One of these days I am going to turn a closed end.
Cheers
Bob
While NOT EQUALLY LIKELY, Bocote CAN cause those reactions in some folks, too.

Love those Tropical Forest trees. They defend themselves, even AFTER you cut them down!!

toolcrazy

The reason I thought it was Bocote is this cigar I made a while back.

Attachments

• bocote_cigar.jpg
    bocote_cigar.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 138
  • bocote_cigar_side_one.jpg
    bocote_cigar_side_one.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 141

Bree

That's a lovely closed end pen. You can be real proud of that pen. And I think that it is indeed Cocobolo.
:cool::cool::cool:

danroggensee

here i will end this just send it to me and i will tell you the wood might be lol.
Great job very nice looking pen. I will be looking for it in the mail.

Dannie

JohnU

Its a beautiful Pen! I love the look of a closed end pen. Nice finish too. Its hard to tell from the photo but if it has red /orange/ purple color in it, its Cocobolo. If its yellowish green and black its Bocote.

Top Bottom