I love those burls!

Thuya Burl, Elegant American, CA.

thuyaburlelegant.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

Fang-
That is a nice piece of Thuya. Have you ever done a write up on your finishing method? You get such a deep gloss, it blows me away. I'm trying BLO/CA, just CA, friction polish, MM, ect but something seems to be escaping me when it comes to getting that glassy finish. You could throw CA on a turd and make it look like jewel. A brown jewel, but a jewel none the less. Any hints or tips would be welcomed and met with thanks.

Fangar

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />Fang-
That is a nice piece of Thuya. Have you ever done a write up on your finishing method? You get such a deep gloss, it blows me away. I'm trying BLO/CA, just CA, friction polish, MM, ect but something seems to be escaping me when it comes to getting that glassy finish. You could throw CA on a turd and make it look like jewel. A brown jewel, but a jewel none the less. Any hints or tips would be welcomed and met with thanks.

Scott,

Thanks very much for the kind, but possibly smelly words! [:D]

There is no way I am telling you...

[}:)] [:D]

I will email you.

P.S. I did another Camphor Burl from the stash I got from you. Take a look:

camphorburleuro.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

wayneis

Very nice work James and I have to agree about your finish, its outstanding(Even if you don't use Enduro). Have they done anything with the centerband on that kit yet? I've never been able to sell one because they were so sharp and no one liked the recess. I finally just gave the rest of the kits away. Its really too bad because they are sized nice, have good balance and really makes a good looking pen.

Wayne

gerryr

I just ordered a few of those kits, maybe I shouldn't have, but I think I can fix the sharp edge. I plan to try the epoxy that's made for coating threads on fishing rods. It's isn't an adhesive epoxy, more of a casting epoxy and I have the equipment to rotate it constantly so get a level finish. It should work just fine. I'll post a pic after I get one done.

Fangar

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Very nice work James and I have to agree about your finish, its outstanding(Even if you don't use Enduro). Have they done anything with the centerband on that kit yet? I've never been able to sell one because they were so sharp and no one liked the recess. I finally just gave the rest of the kits away. Its really too bad because they are sized nice, have good balance and really makes a good looking pen.

Wayne

Wayne,

Same old centerband. A little "catchy" if you will where the chrome peices meet that black centerband which is stepped down just a bit. Not too bad really, but looking back I recognized what you were referring too. I still like the kit none the less, and it has sold well for me too.

P.S. I have some enduro, ready for testing, but have not had time to play around.

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom