Thuya Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikemac

mikemac

My local wood shop had a HUGE (150lb) Thuya burl sitting on their shelves. They finally decided to cut it into smaller pieces. (As nice as it was, at THAT size, way out of my price range.) I picked up a slab that cut into 6 penblanks... this is one of the nicer ones.

Thuya.jpg

Either it was still very wet, or Thuya has a natural oil/gum in it, as it clogged up the sandpaper something fierce. Had to wipe it down a few times with mineral spirits

Comments/criticisms appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

Nice Pen. I've recently made a couple of pens out of this wood as well. I'm new, but I notice the wood seemed very oily as well. Still love the color and figure of he wood.

BruceA

Thuya burl smell

Mike,
That really is a nice blank with lots of eyes in the burl. Sounds like it must have still had a high moisture content. I've turned a couple blanks lately, and they cut with excellent fine detail and no ragging. Sanding was clean, too. I would be interested in knowing how you could dry out/cure your wood to reduce the moisture??

One thing I noticed about thuya is the distinct smell - it smelled like when I sharpen a pencil...! I haven't had any other wood give off that particular smell.

Top Bottom