Thuya Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sprung

Sprung

I made this pen this morning and this is, hands down, my finest pen to date. My finish on this is the most flawless finish I've been able to achieve yet. It's like glass and has some nice depth to it. I also really like this kit - this is my first Triton I've done. I'm impressed with it - which is good because I've got 6 more Tritons (1 more FP and 5 RB) to do in the next week or so - 1 for me and 5 for orders. Those 5 orders are the only reason I was able to afford a couple extra Trition kits!

This pen is a "Thank You" gift for a friend who loves fountain pens and writes with them pretty much exclusively. This will be his first fountain pen that wasn't bought off the shelf somewhere. I'll be giving it to him on Sunday night. My friend is a pastor (and a college and seminary classmate of mine - and it so happens that we both currently serve congregations within 25 miles of each other), so I chose Thuya as it is a Biblical wood.

Wood: Thuya Burl
Kit: Triton Fountain Pen kit in Chrome with Ti gold accents

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 226
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrmartyking

I recently finished a Baron in thuya burl and I think that it is one of the prettiest woods that I have used. Your pen is quite nice.

Sprung

Thank you, everyone, for the comments!

I was asked what finish I used - thanks for asking, as I forgot to mention it in my initial post. The finish is CA. I've been working on improving my CA finish and have finally achieved a CA finishing, sanding, and polishing procedure that produces a result that I'm happy with. Next I'm going to dry and do the same with WTF!

I really enjoyed turning the Thuya Burl. I only have one other blank of it, and that one is in my private stash of blanks and eventually I will make myself a pen from it.

I do have a small log of straight grained Thuya that I cut up into a few about 7/8" slabs - each about 8" long and 4 to 5 inches wide. It's drying right now, but I'm looking forward to making some pens out of it! What I've got should make a pretty good number of pens - and straight grained Thuya seems harder to find than burl, because everybody wants burl, so it appears that no one sells the straight grained stuff!

Top Bottom