Thuya and Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

This was the hardest segmenting that I have done to date. The small size of the segments caused many re-glues. It was very hard to hold this one together but it was worth the effort.

il_570xN.445163256_8yld.jpg

il_570xN.445167671_5ei1.jpg

I hope you like this one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That is really over the top. But what happened, did you run out of Mandrone Burl?:biggrin:

But seriously, that is a beautiful pen. I'm hoping to copy some of your techniques soon. I'm working on a jig for my band saw. So hopefully I can come close to what you've been making.

Great job! I think this is my favorite so far.

RMayoIII

That looks very nice! I especially like the circular area between the upper and lower segments, perfect place for personalizing with initials our a decal of sorts.

That is really over the top. But what happened, did you run out of Mandrone Burl?:biggrin:

But seriously, that is a beautiful pen. I'm hoping to copy some of your techniques soon. I'm working on a jig for my band saw. So hopefully I can come close to what you've been making.

Great job! I think this is my favorite so far.

Actually if I had realized how well the round part was going to come out I would have definitely use some more of the madrone burl maybe in the next one? I have some other ideas that need to be explored first..

jttheclockman

OK you have now stepped up even further up the creative ladder so we are going to have to throw some critism out there as you continue. Love this concept and yes it has been done before. My critique is the spacing of the layers. You need to be more aware of thickness unless this is the look you went for then excuse my thoughts. But from what I am looking at symatry is what you were after but failed a bit. Great idea though and love the combination. Look forward to more of your work. ( I do need to get spell check here):) Just my opinion:)

Just noticed another nitpicking item. When taking a photo of a pen like that you need to show the entire cap so we can appreciate the design. The lower body blocks the cap. I like to stand the cap up and take my photos from 3/4 frontal instead of straight down. Gives the pen depth of field. Again just my opinion

Last edited:

SDB777

Keep 'punishing' yourself with all those cuts, I'm loving the outcoming!!!

What kind of time do you think you have in this one(hrs/days)?

I'm guessing this is going in your private collection....I couldn't bare to let something this nice go.

Scott (adding segmenting to the 'tuit list') B

OK you have now stepped up even further up the creative ladder so we are going to have to throw some critism out there as you continue. Love this concept and yes it has been done before. My critique is the spacing of the layers. You need to be more aware of thickness unless this is the look you went for then excuse my thoughts. But from what I am looking at symatry is what you were after but failed a bit. Great idea though and love the combination. Look forward to more of your work. ( I do need to get spell check here):) Just my opinion:)

Just noticed another nitpicking item. When taking a photo of a pen like that you need to show the entire cap so we can appreciate the design. The lower body blocks the cap. I like to stand the cap up and take my photos from 3/4 frontal instead of straight down. Gives the pen depth of field. Again just my opinion

I here you John it is very hard to get these cuts exact and then when you turn them on an angle the differences are magnified. Trust me I know where all of the variances in this blank are. I have looked at them over and over. As I make more of them I am sure I will get better. One of the challenges with these cuts for me is lighting I need to get one of those magnetic base lights so I can get light right down where I need it. There are plenty of other variances in this blank as well. Any of the turners here know exactly where their problems are and most if not all are working toward excellence I know that I am. Thanks for the critique it will make a difference I am sure.

Janster

Great work Mike. You are making me "think" again and I am starting another WIP. I'll again take pics as I progress. Thanks for your inspiration. Be well.........Jan

Top Bottom