Throwing in my $.02

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Travis Fry

Travis Fry

This Rhino Plastic blank was called My Two Cents, and is about the color of an old penny. It's also pretty much the color of my wife's eyes, just with a little less sparkle :wink:.

Atrax-RB-2-e1415981292229.jpg

Atrax-RB-1-e1415981276877.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ttpenman

I bought a couple of those blanks. Guess I need to get them turned.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin (50" of snow just 40 mi. East. We only got 6-8")

Travis Fry

Its a beauty - can you offer any tips on how you sanded/finished it?

I made a clean scraping pass with a freshly sharpened skew, then micromesh pads through all the grits to 12000. I sometimes use 600grit sandpaper after the skew but before the MM if I think it necessary. I finish off with Novus #2 polish and then Novus #1 cleaner/polish. I'm not sure if the #1 actually does anything, but I have it so I use it.

Crashmph

Excellent looking pen and very nice finish but...

Beautiful blank, but I have never been a fan of the non-postable version of the Atrax. The post just looks huge and takes away from the blank.

Travis Fry

Excellent looking pen and very nice finish but...

Beautiful blank, but I have never been a fan of the non-postable version of the Atrax. The post just looks huge and takes away from the blank.

I agree and disagree. I feel this way about a lot of non-postable pens, but also think that alot of the postable ends look cheesy somehow. For Atraxes, I've made 2 so far with postable Triton ends, which can be bought separately. They certainly look nice, but are limited in the available finishes. Besides that, the problem is that adding in the cost of the postable parts puts the Atrax in the cost range of "nicer" components.

I'm looking for alternatives, and have considered JR Gent 2, but I've heard it has quality issues. I think most others have too much bling, which is really off-putting. I may move up to the Desire kits from lazerlinez, if they ever become available, but they're even higher in price and I don't like the centerband on the bottom of the cap all that much. For now, the simplicity of the Atrax still has it as my #1 rollerball.

Top Bottom