Thrice Worthless Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

Status
Not open for further replies.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
It is Manzanita Root thrice Worthless wood blank I made mounted on a 22K Jr Statesmen.

Worthless wood (ww) is when you take scraps of wood and cast them into resin to make a good blank. In this case the Manzanita root pieces and the pretty red PR.

Twice ww is when blue PR from a different cast flows over into your blank adding unwanted colors.

Thrice ww is when the cast goes bad and the resin doesn't harden in the wood bark so you have to dig it all out using a dental pick and fill the resulting gouges with ebony dust and CA. Over and over again to get all the bubbles out.

But like all things, if it doesn't kill you it just makes you stronger and smarter. The pen turned out gorgeous (IMHO) and the recipient loves it. What more can you ask?

200712634846_IMG_6238.jpg

20071263492_IMG_6239.jpg

200712634913_IMG_6240.jpg

200712634926_IMG_6241.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Greg
That is just absolutely fantastic looking. [8D][8D]
You guys have convinced me to set up for casting next year.
I've got soooo much spalted `worthless wood' on my property, it just has to happen [:p][:D][;)]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very well done Greg, that is certainly an eye-opener. I love it and it looks just as good as the ones Curtis did.[:D]

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, you know, now that you've tripped through it once, maybe you can "streamline" the process and come up with a close second.

That's one gorgeous pen!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone for the very nice comments. I do plan to do more. I've already got people wanting pens "just like this one". Sadly they are family so no money involved. [B)][;)]

GK

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Fantastic pen, Greg! It is nice to see so many folks getting good use out of my "Worthless Wood" process! I sure makes me proud of everyone to see these great pens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom