Three for your review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Eyeshooter

Eyeshooter

How nice to get back in the shop after the holidays, tho' I had to give it a good cleaning first before getting to play. The Bloody Basin Red Jasper is my first acrylic that actually made it to being a pen. I first had to blow up a computer chip blank that was supposed to be a Christmas present (insert long sigh here). The jasper is on a Olympian Elite2. The Spalted Pecan is on a Sierra Elegant button click and the Bloodwood is on a Hart Double Twist.

Thanks to all of you whose beautiful work has made me want to try this hobby! Your comments are appreciated.

John

Attachments

• Bloody Basin.jpg
    Bloody Basin.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 279
  • spalted pecan.jpg
    spalted pecan.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Hart.jpg
    Hart.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

John,
All three are very nice pens! My favorite is the the Red Jasper. Really goes well with that kit. Is the Jasper a Tru-Stone or an acrylic? Regards, Doc

Eyeshooter

Hi,Doc.

Good catch! The Jasper is actually a Tru-Stone. Still trying to get all of the lingo straight. I guess that means I still have yet to successfully turn an acrylic blank. Back to the shop!

paramount Pen

Your pens look very good so you've got talent. Try this to stop blowing acrylic blanks. cut blanks longer and stop short of drilling out the other end then cut to lenght. Then after gluing in pen tube and squaring it mount it on the lathe and take 1/16 inch cuts with a sharp skew, not sideways but straight from the surface to the tube, start at one end of the blank and stop short of the profile you want. Do that all the way accross to the other end, 1/16 of an inch at a time and make sure you barely touch the blank before easing it in. After you do this all the way accross then you can work it side to side and tool it to profile or shape. After I started this I can't remember when I last lost a blank.

Last edited:

Eyeshooter

Thanks, gents. And a big thanks for the acrylic tip Paramount. I appreciate the ideas and will try them this weekend.

I'm hoping to get to meet Rob at Bad Dog Burls today. My wife's hoping I don't! Actually, I think she's ready for me to be out of the house today...

Padre

I agree with Lee, the spalted pecan is stunning. Well, actually, they all are, but the pecan really pops.

ToddMR

Very nice pens there John. I think I like the Jasper the best personally. Nice fit on all the pens all the same. Nicely done! That had to really hurt losing the computer blank. It happens though, so hang in there and continue to do nice work!

Top Bottom