Three Vertexes (Verti?)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodWorkinthe530

Here are three Vertex pens I did yesterday and today.

The first two are in carbon fiber from CaptG, what a great blank to turn! These are for a friend's wife to give to him for Christmas. He works for Northrup Grummon as an engineer on triple secret projects and loves high tech so the carbon fiber is perfect. He does a lot of document proofing so he needed both a black and a red pen. I parted off a bit at the end of one of the blanks and added a small piece of red to set the two apart.

The third is one of the new PSI magnetic cap units in antler for my brother. The antler was picked up years ago on a cattle ranch my parents used to own so there is some sentimental value to that particular piece. He really likes the Zen pens I have made but also loves to write with a fountain pen...

I just picked up a new camera that has tons of adjustments for me to use to mess up a picture so I'm still learning:rolleyes:.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• VER05001.jpg
    VER05001.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 299
  • VER05002.jpg
    VER05002.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 323
  • VER06001 CAP OFF.jpg
    VER06001 CAP OFF.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 323
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Yes they do. I love the black click one with the carbon fiber blank. I also really like the mag vertex with the black plating and the antler. I make a lot of the chrome ones and think I will go for some of the black titanium next order. Great pens.

amboyna

Vertex?

Forgive my ignorance. But what is a Vertex pen. Those are really nice. All 3. Love the Carbon Fiber. Want to turn one bad. I see Craft Supplies sells Carbon Fiber blanks.
I want to turn some horn too. I have an Elk rack I want to cut up. Never done anything but wood so far.

My Elk rack:

elk1.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words! It's always nice to have some "me time" in the shop and a bonus have something good come from it...

amboyna, The Vertex pen style has a hex shape to the cap/nib/finial. I believe the line started as the click ball point style (as in the carbon fiber pens) but has recently spawned into rollerball and fountain pen options. As far as I know these are a PSI (Penn State Industries) exclusive, my apologies if these are available anywhere else. Nice rack by the way.

This was my first time turning antler and it went pretty well. I drilled the blank off center to retain some of the harder outer layer on one side. I did sand through my CA finish the first time around (no pun intended) but the re-finish worked. I did have major dentist flashbacks while cutting the antler to length on the bandsaw, the smell was horrid. The smell while turning wasn't bad due to my dust collection and mask.

I also forgot to mention that all three pens have been upgraded with refill/ink offerings from Mike and Linda at Indy-Pen-Dance (great service). I'm a bit new to pen making so I'm just getting to know all the fine suppliers here on IAP.

Chris

amboyna

Thanks for all the kind words! It's always nice to have some "me time" in the shop and a bonus have something good come from it...

amboyna, The Vertex pen style has a hex shape to the cap/nib/finial. I believe the line started as the click ball point style (as in the carbon fiber pens) but has recently spawned into rollerball and fountain pen options. As far as I know these are a PSI (Penn State Industries) exclusive, my apologies if these are available anywhere else. Nice rack by the way.

This was my first time turning antler and it went pretty well. I drilled the blank off center to retain some of the harder outer layer on one side. I did sand through my CA finish the first time around (no pun intended) but the re-finish worked. I did have major dentist flashbacks while cutting the antler to length on the bandsaw, the smell was horrid. The smell while turning wasn't bad due to my dust collection and mask.

I also forgot to mention that all three pens have been upgraded with refill/ink offerings from Mike and Linda at Indy-Pen-Dance (great service). I'm a bit new to pen making so I'm just getting to know all the fine suppliers here on IAP.

Chris

The smell is the reason my brother does not want me to turn an Antler pen. Eventually I'll talk him in to it. I'll show him your awesome pen.:)
I'll check out Penn State Industries. Thanks.

Top Bottom