Three Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree Bolt Actions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wsharp

wsharp

I made these three Bolt Action Pens (with gun metal finish) as a special order. They are made from white oak taken from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree. I finished them with ten coats of Med CA and polished. I have been making Civil War Pens and now the Bolt action with the SJPT for some time now (since the tree came down) and they have been highly popular around here. Here is some background on the tree:

This tree was present at the encampment of Confederate General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's army near Middle River in June 1862 has succumbed to disease and time. The towering white oak that was known locally as Jackson's Prayer Tree toppled to the ground overnight May 27 2011 in northern Augusta County.

Jackson's army had just completed a string of five military victories, including the battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic, in roughly a month that spring

According to the diary of Jackson's mapmaker, Jedediah Hotchkiss, the generalattended a religious gathering on June 15. According to local legend this religious gathering took place under this tree.

The Woodturners of the Virginias, a club of which I am a member, along with their sister club The Central Virginia Woodturners Club was given exclusive rights to this wood by the property owners.

Enjoy
Wayne
Mount Jackson VA

Attachments

• 2012-1003_4_5 SJPT Bolt Action.jpg
    2012-1003_4_5 SJPT Bolt Action.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:

RogerH

Wow, I can appreciate that those pens would be especially sought after in the South. Up here, not so much, though I think the association is awesome.

Kind of like selling something associated with Abraham Lincoln or General Sherman in the south, probably not real popular.

Thx for sharing.

Top Bottom