Three Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jdmyers4

jdmyers4

Here are three Sierras I recently did. All BEB.

Attachments

• BEBBlueKnotSierra.jpg
    BEBBlueKnotSierra.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 263
  • BEBSegmentedSierra.jpg
    BEBSegmentedSierra.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 343
  • BEBTealSierra.jpg
    BEBTealSierra.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

All three are beautiful. I particularly like the middle one. Is that a blank you made up??? What does it consist of??? Thanks for showing.

jdmyers4

The idea for the middle, segmented sierra came from looking at some beautiful pens made by George (Texatdurango). It took me a couple of tries before I succeeded. George's pens were absolutely gorgeous. Thanks George for the idea!

The first one is half a Celtic knot. I have a full knot blank just like it, all I have to do is drill a hole through it and turn it. I'll probably do that this weekend.

JerryS

All three are beautiful. I particularly like the middle one. Is that a blank you made up??? What does it consist of??? Thanks for showing.

I would have to agree with this , I'm interested in more information about that middle one also .

Regards
Jerry

jdmyers4

Making the blank for the middle pen consisted of the following steps:

1. Cut a blank in half lengthwise. In the pen above, I used Gold BEB.

2. Take another blank of a different color (blue BEB, in this case) and cut some slices lengthwise - about 3/16-inch to 1/4-inch. I think I made mine about 3/16-inch slices. You will need two slices. These should be about the same lengths as the first blank.

3. For each of the two slices made in step two, glue on an thin strip of inlay material. I just used some black plastic strips. I used thick CA glue for this and then set the pieces in a clamp to dry.

4. Now you have 4 pieces - the two halves of the first blank, and the two laminated strips. Now glue one laminated strip between the two halves of the first blank. You're making a sandwich. Clamp and let dry.

5. After the 'sandwich' dries, cut it in half, lengthwise, down the middle. Then glue in the other laminated slice. Clamp and let dry. Make sure the laminated middle inlay of the two halves line up.

6. You now have a blank that has an 'X' cross section of laminated inlay segments (blue BEB) on your blank. Cut a couple pieces of Gold BEB for the ends. Cut a length of the segmented blank, taking into account the width of the two end piece, so that all three pieces together are the length of your tube. DO NOT GLUE the end pieces on yet!

7. The CRITICAL PART: drill a hole through the exact center of the segmented blank. I tried using my drill press at first, but the hole would come out off-center on the other end. I then used my lathe to bore the center hole. This worked much better, as others will tell you.

8. After drilling the laminated blank, glue one end piece one (with black strip inlay material sandwiched in between the segmented blank and end piece. Let dry. Drill the hole through the end piece - going through the hole of the segmented blank first.

9. Repeat Step #9 for the other end piece.

10. Turn your pen blank.

It's a rather labor intensive process, but the result is nice.

pipecrafter

I also really like the segmented one! Man, I might have to give the Sierras a turn. I don't think I've seen a bad looking one yet. And it's a good way to show off lots of wood.

Randy_

I'm going to cast my vote for the segmented pen, too. Seems like that is the popular choice.​

John: I am a little puzzled by the instructions, however. It looks like the blue strips are sandwiched between "TWO" pieces of plastic inlay although the instructions don't seem to read that way.

It also appears that the end pieces of gold BEB might be "sandwiched" by black plastic; but am not sure as it could be a photographic illusion. Could you clear up the confusion, please?

Last edited:
Top Bottom