Three Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

I've been working on these for quite awhile so I thought I'd post a picture of them. The top one is a cloth Gonzales flag with a Texas Quarter off to the side. The middle one is a cloth Texas Flag also with a Texas Quarter. The bottom one is a cloth Gadson Flag with an Eagle from an old U.S. Quarter. Thanks

Attachments

• flags.JPG
    flags.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 379
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for all the likes and comments. I would also like to say thanks again to all those that post and share their ideas for me and maybe a few others to copy.

jttheclockman

Hello Kenny

Are you making all these blanks??? Did you scroll the coins and thin them??? I like what you did with the Eagle. I would like to borrow that idea if you do not mind. Having the Eagle stand alone is a nice touch. Thanks for showing.

Waggoner

Great job. As a fellow Texan I would love to have of a few of these blanks. Really like the Texas flag. Again great job.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks Guys. I haven't thought about selling blanks because I've been having trouble casting. I do know that most of my problem is patients. I try to change too many things at once. The Eagle is a "Stand Alone Eagle" because I'm nowhere as good as the person I borrowed the idea from, Seamus. As far as working the coins I do it all free hand with a grinder. It still take quite a bit of time, even though I've done several, to do one coin. Every Texas Quarter I do starts out to be the whole quarter then depending how bad I mess up it goes from leaving off the "Lone Star State" to just the state and star and I have a few stars as well. I would have left the rim of the eagle attached but I don't have the skill to do that intricate work.

jttheclockman

Thanks Guys. I haven't thought about selling blanks because I've been having trouble casting. I do know that most of my problem is patients. I try to change too many things at once. The Eagle is a "Stand Alone Eagle" because I'm nowhere as good as the person I borrowed the idea from, Seamus. As far as working the coins I do it all free hand with a grinder. It still take quite a bit of time, even though I've done several, to do one coin. Every Texas Quarter I do starts out to be the whole quarter then depending how bad I mess up it goes from leaving off the "Lone Star State" to just the state and star and I have a few stars as well. I would have left the rim of the eagle attached but I don't have the skill to do that intricate work.

Thanks Kenny. Seamus is the man when it comes to cutting coins. OK I am going to borrow the idea when I can get back into my shop and give it a go.

As far as thinning the coins Kenny I do them on the lathe. (have done it other ways also but that was for show:biggrin: Ask Seamus)

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

John I tried that and the coin would always come loose. I used two-sided tape,glue and I rigged up my shop vac and made a vacuum chuck and it still wouldn't hold. Something about a razor disc flying at me just didn't sound good. Was the coin a tight fit in the block? I just used a forstner bit and the coin wasn't all that snug. Thanks for the tips I might try the lathe again. It sure would save a lot of time. I've cut out buffalo, ducks, pheasants, fish, bear, cow skull, the Great Lakes on a Mich. Quarter and an Ohio Quarter.

jttheclockman

John I tried that and the coin would always come loose. I used two-sided tape,glue and I rigged up my shop vac and made a vacuum chuck and it still wouldn't hold. Something about a razor disc flying at me just didn't sound good. Was the coin a tight fit in the block? I just used a forstner bit and the coin wasn't all that snug. Thanks for the tips I might try the lathe again. It sure would save a lot of time. I've cut out buffalo, ducks, pheasants, fish, bear, cow skull, the Great Lakes on a Mich. Quarter and an Ohio Quarter.

Kenny I use doublesided carpet tape from Home Depot. It is the strongest holding tape I have found and that includes turners tape. It has to be carpet tape though. The plastic backer is held on with it to the faceplate. The block is held to the plastic with it and I am very comfortable with it. I at first thinned those with a normal spindle gouge but have found it even easier with a carbide cutter. The coin does fit snugly in the hole because it was drilled with a fostner bit designed for quarters. I use to scroll saw quarter maps at one time. I would suggest to use a chuck to hold the block of wood though if anyone want to try this. I have done it that way too. Less stress points. Have to think safety at all times.:)

Maybe you would like to try cutting them in half using my other method., a scrollsaw:biggrin: Try that one for your nerves.:)

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

John I saw those pics a while back. I'm still impressed. A friend of mine works at a machine shop and had a machinist that runs a machine that uses an electric wire to cut and he didn't do as good a job as you. That's when I went back to doing it by hand. I will try the carpet tape ASAP.

Top Bottom