three more different lighting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

Well these are outside tell me what you think (dont mind the flower it was my wifes help):D
Nolan

200652016219_black%20palm.jpg

Black Palm
2006520162127_cut-offs.jpg

Dymondwood cut-off glue up
2006520162414_Wow.jpg

Dymondwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I like the black palm the most.

I agree that natural light is best...colors came out great, but you need to diffuse it a bit IMHO

The flower actually helped as far as I am concerned [:)]

gerryr

Good job on the pens. Not sure about the Dymond wood cutoffs though. I like the bottom one and I don't go much for that "spindly" stuff, but the wood is pretty attractive. Natural light is the best light for photos, but direct sunlight in actually one of the worst. If you want to use direct sunlight, do it 8-10am and 4-6pm. The light then is not as harsh. The easiest thing to use to diffuse the light is a plain white sheet. There is diffusing material, a plastic, you can buy but I don't know where to get it. Lowe's or Home Depot might have it in the lighting department, but I've never looked for it.

is the last pen the Agate blank of dymondwood? Being an Auburn fan and it seems our Auburn colored pens sell best-- might be something Mike needs to add! IN the past, he's had trouble keeping the color true on some of the dymondwood... the Agate we had was orange, blue and cream but looks rust, deep blue and khaki. I know the sun can make colors look brighter-- but I like that orange and blue!!! let us know your supplier or name of it, if you don't mind! Thanks!

Nolan

Supplier is Wood Whimsies the web site is www.woodwhimsies.com fast shipping no problems so far. I was ordering the slimline kits from them too but decided to stop cuz I felt the other sellers have better quality. Could just be in my head they probably get them all from the same place over seas. Hope this helps BTW the pic is a really fair representation of the color of the pen. thanks for the input.

Nolan

Dario

Originally posted by n4631x
<br />Dario,
How do you defuse the light??
Nolan

but you need to diffuse it a bit IMHO

Nolan,

I wish I can help better but what comes to mind are sheer materials (same as those used on the photo booth/cubes). It can be cloth or plastic.

Another that I've seen worked well is using reflectors and staying away from direct sunlight itself. White boards are good but mirrors are not, it will be too intense.

There are good photographers in the forum...I hope they can jump in and share their ideas/thoughts.

Daniel

Nolan,
moving to the outdoors gives you the light your camera is built to take pictures of. Sunlight has the full spectrum of colors so yo don't get the yellowing or bluing that artificial lights cause. full sun light though causes its own problems. it is to bright. causing heavy shadows and hot or bright spots on your pen. the best light conditions are outdoors on a cloudy day. you have all the color and the light is broken up. in my openion the next best is what you have done here. live withthe shadows and bright spots but still have a picture that shows the details of the pen.
you got a whole line of the self destructing woods here though. I have heard lots of comments about the palm splintering while being turned. I have a slimline made from it and had no problems myself. must have gotten lucky. I've never tried the diamond wood but have heard lots of not so great comments about it as well. I have a piece or two laying around and will one day find a reason to use it.
good luck with the photos. in many ways getting a good picture is harder than turning a good pen.

Johnathan

Wow! color color and more color! These pens sure look fun! There is way too much shape for me but many will love it. The diamond wood it just looks too busy IMHO, I also am not a big fan of the different kit pieces, I'd stick with one type of finish.

Some people really love these crazy pens. Good job. [:)]

Nolan

Johnathan,
I agree 100% way to buzy for me too and I actually dont care for Dymondwood but it sells. I wouldnt be caught dead carring one personally but just my opinion. I will turn almost anything if the price is right. I say almost cuz I remember a post a while back about turning a human bone into a pen for somebody. Thanks for the input.

Nolan

Daniel

Nolan,
thanks for reminding me about that post. my stomach had just about quit rolling over that one. gotta say I to draw the line there. gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom