Three JR Gent Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RushmanHCP

RushmanHCP

Here are a few JR Gent Pens that I turned a while back. Red Ivory; African Blackwood & Maple Burl.

Attachments

• DSC01449.jpg
    DSC01449.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC01447.jpg
    DSC01447.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 100_3524.jpg
    100_3524.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 331
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Hate to break the news but this is not a Jr Gent.

I believe they are either JR Gent 1's or the Apprentice Jr. Gents, which are Baron/Navigator Size tubes with slightly different sized top & Bottom Bands.

What are commonly called Jr. Gent's these days are actually Jr. Gent 2's

Last edited:

edstreet

I believe they are either JR Gent 1's or the Apprentice Jr. Gents, which are Baron/Navigator Size tubes with slightly different sized top & Bottom Bands.

Correct "Jr Gent v1" indicates it's not "Jr Gent" which is implied II. Bushings, tubes and the like are all different with no cross compatibility. Implying "Jr Gent" and using a name of a similar but vastly different product is false advertisement. At least change the name and use something unique.

CSUSA use of 'apprentice' gives it a unique name and therefore not riding the coat tails of the dayacom Gent Jr kit.

Also to prevent confusion something other than "Gent Jr" should be used on these kits.

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator

Correct "Jr Gent v1" indicates it's not "Jr Gent" which is implied II. Bushings, tubes and the like are all different with no cross compatibility. Implying "Jr Gent" and using a name of a similar but vastly different product is false advertisement. At least change the name and use something unique.

CSUSA use of 'apprentice' gives it a unique name and therefore not riding the coat tails of the dayacom Gent Jr kit.

Also to prevent confusion something other than "Gent Jr" should be used on these kits.

I'm sorry - but that is the funniest, most absurd thing that I have read in a LONG time.

Thats like saying that you can't call the old volkswagon a Beetle anymore because they made a new version of it.

edstreet

I'm sorry - but that is the funniest, most absurd thing that I have read in a LONG time.

Thats like saying that you can't call the old volkswagon a Beetle anymore because they made a new version of it.

The Beetle is still made by the same company, same shape and many of the same features. the 'new' label was for marketing mostly, also to indicate changes and upgrades to it above and beyond the usual year to year changes, unlike in this case. This case is like selling a chevy and calling it a ford.

It was also not posted to be humor but that does indicate a lack of understanding as to the real problem here. Been a great deal of implying threads created, more recently than old, and to many, esp the new turners and the like, there has been some very large amounts of confusion going on. I personally fail to find humor in trying to help reduce or eliminate the confusion this is causing.

Last edited:

toddlajoie

I do believe the Jr. Gent 1 (now called the Apprentice Jr. Gent) was at the time just called the Jr. Gent (just like the original Spiderman/Batman.Goonies Movies were not labled "1" when they were released...) , which is why CSUSA has always to my knowlege lists the new ones as Jr. Gent II's (Same with the Jr. Statesman, tho I am not familiar with the original Jr. Statesman) even before they added "Aprentice" and "Artisian" to the names. So your arguement (except for the "implied" part, which is an opening to end user interpretation) really supports the fact that they should have given the Jr. Gent II's a different name.

alphageek

Former Moderator

The Beetle is still made by the same company, same shape and many of the same features. the 'new' label was for marketing mostly, also to indicate changes and upgrades to it above and beyond the usual year to year changes, unlike in this case. This case is like selling a chevy and calling it a ford.

It was also not posted to be humor but that does indicate a lack of understanding as to the real problem here. Been a great deal of implying threads created, more recently than old, and to many, esp the new turners and the like, there has been some very large amounts of confusion going on. I personally fail to find humor in trying to help reduce or eliminate the confusion this is causing.

I realize that you did not mean for it to be humorous. My point is that the OP posted some beautiful pens. They were made with a kit called a Jr Gent (1, apprentice, whatever) but you posted that its not really a Jr Gent because the "real" Jr Gent is a Jr Gent II. And just like my example, just because there is way more modern Beetles on the road than the originals, doesn't mean that the old beetle isn't a beetle.

Jr Gent, like sierra, in the pen turning world has fallen prey to the fact that the companies who created the hardware aren't controlling the name space. That doesn't mean that everyone who uses the generic name on IAP needs to be corrected.

In other words - RushmanHCP has posted 3 beautiful Jr Gents... no matter if you don't think the kit deserves that name!

BSea

tomato . . . tomato!

Hmmmm . . . . .Kinda loses something when you type it.:rolleyes:

Regardless what you call it, it's one of my favorite kits. Inexpensive, easy to modify, and looks good. And I like the size better than it's larger cousin.

Janster

...just thinking out loud

..there is a bad apple regarding whatever is posted in MANY posts as of late.
JMHO. We just have to get past the ,bad picture, poor background, wrong name and on and on. Check the work and be social/civil. Like it, leave a comment if asked, be polite or just peruse and move on. I too remember something like, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Every pot that one walks by does not need to be stirred. Be well.......Jan
...heading out to put my flack jacket. I direct this at no particular individual
in any postings, BUT,if the shoe fits, go ahead and wear it.

...Very nice work on the pens!

Last edited:
Top Bottom