Three cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Finally got a chance to put these up. From left to right they are Bubinga in Upgrade Gold, Koa in Nickel Satin and Ipe in Pearl Silver. I really like working with Ipe. It sculpts so well. Just make sure your tools are sharp and don't get in a hurry. The shavings from this piece were lime green and I was hoping the green and brown grains would both show when finished, but it turned out to be more of a ciagr color. You can't tell from the pic (due to the angle of the pens in relation to the camera), but the first two are very glossy. I tried a more traditional wood working finish (buffed lacquer). Takes longer, but I'm pleased with it. After reading the war stories on here over the last few days about FP not wearing well I decided to go a different route. I just hope it works.

200552931231_cigars_three.jpg

Thanks for looking and suggestions are always welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

All 3 are good looking pens. I particularly like the Koa.

Do you notice on your Ipe that it has a look that is almost artificial? I did a few sets that had a radial pattern in the grain that made it look like a laser printed grain almost. Really strange, I looked at it under the microscope and it appeared to have radial and linear lines in the cell (or grain) structure.
It is pretty good wood to work with, I agree with you on that.

alamocdc

Thanks, all. Yes, Kevin, some Ipe does look rather artificial. This one was very nearly like that. Jim, I like the effect I get with the lacquer. I only wish the process was a little faster. I'm not the most patient of individuals. [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom