Three Alligator Juniper Jr Gents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkY

MarkY

This wood has been worked and worked. It started its life (with me) when I found it in the forest and decided it would be a bowl. And so I turned it ... and did a terrible job of it, bad shape, mediocre finishing, just ugly (Except for the wood, that was stunning) So it sat around for a few months until I found a friend with a bandsaw that could make it into pen blanks. Naturally it took months before I remembered to take it down to get sawn, and months after that when it sat in the shed.
But finally I've turned three pretty nice Jr Gents. Not super happy with the CA/BLO finish but they're not too bad.
After the photo I decided to swap the caps over on the two at the right so that I have a burl pen and a straight-grained one.

I also had a go with the colored ply for the first time. Not sure I love the look but it's fairly nice to turn and finishes well.

DSC05497.JPG

DSC05546.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Well done sir!! How'd you like that ply? I have a buttload of gunstock cut off's and they are in serious demand of being stabilized!

MarkY

Well done sir!! How'd you like that ply? I have a buttload of gunstock cut off's and they are in serious demand of being stabilized!

As I always do, I went at it a bit hard at the start and chipped off a bit. Once I calmed down and took it easy it turned nicely.

Top Bottom