Thread Wrapped Custom Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Body is thread wrapped 3/8" aluminum tube and covered with epoxy.
Nickle silver nose cone turned with Magical Skew won as door prize in bash.
Schmidt click mechanism

attachment.php

Attachments

• Blue Click.JPG
    Blue Click.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 782
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

That's a beauty. I have been thread wrapping pens for a couple of years now, and would like to compare techniques with you. Please send me a message so we can compare notes. If you would like to see some of my work with thread, look in the Etsy site for thomsturnings store.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Another superb pen Bruce - I love the colors. Methinks you got this down!

(Need to save something for MAPG...:wink:)

Ted Sachs

Very nice looking pen there. I've been playing with thread wrapping as well, but I've been out of commission for a while now until we get moved and get the shop set up again. I've got some great wrapping patterns if you are interested in them.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice looking pen there. I've been playing with thread wrapping as well, but I've been out of commission for a while now until we get moved and get the shop set up again. I've got some great wrapping patterns if you are interested in them.
Coming from you, it is indeed an honor. Some of your pens were my impetus to give it a try. Hope to see more of your work.

MrPukaShell

Very nice I was wondering when someone was going to post something like this. There are so many nice wraps on saltwater fishing poles done in thread. Thanks for sharing.

jttheclockman

Rounder

Very nice I was wondering when someone was going to post something like this. There are so many nice wraps on saltwater fishing poles done in thread. Thanks for sharing.

Ted has been doing some really cool stuff and will once again when he gets settled. Here is a link to his work. Not to hijack the OP post but it is old thread and Ted jumped in:)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13...blanks-135953/?highlight=thread+wrapping+pens

I started thinking about this just a few days ago actually and did not know that it had already been done. WHAT BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!!! I really want to try this if I can get there. After reading the thread above, I have a question/maybe suggestion. Could this be done on a long brass tube and then cut the tubes to the proper lengths and then have several blanks in hand? WOW, just gorgeous stuff there. WOW!

jttheclockman

Ted has been doing some really cool stuff and will once again when he gets settled. Here is a link to his work. Not to hijack the OP post but it is old thread and Ted jumped in:)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13...blanks-135953/?highlight=thread+wrapping+pens

I started thinking about this just a few days ago actually and did not know that it had already been done. WHAT BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!!! I really want to try this if I can get there. After reading the thread above, I have a question/maybe suggestion. Could this be done on a long brass tube and then cut the tubes to the proper lengths and then have several blanks in hand? WOW, just gorgeous stuff there. WOW!

I think Ted addresses this in the link I provided. You can not just cut a pattern off anywhere. These guys can provide more in depth answers though.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Could this be done on a long brass tube and then cut the tubes to the proper lengths and then have several blanks in hand? WOW, just gorgeous stuff there. WOW!

I actually made this blank longer than the final piece used, so yes. The challenge is making the cut and not having the thread unravel. Possible - yes; degree of difficulty - high (at least for me)

Ted Sachs

I'm no expert by any means, but, I have been doing it a while. You can do the ten inch tubes and cut them to length afterwards, but you need to put a very liberal coat of CA on the wrap first. I start with two coats of thin CA first so it can soak in all the way to the tube. This will bind it all together nicely. Then I'll put a couple or three coats of medium CA just to put a buildup on the blank. Let that dry for a day or two before cutting. Here's a picture of a snowflake pattern I did and will be cutting to size in the next day or two so I can cast it. This is on a 12.5mm tube ten inches long. I'm doing the 10.5mm tube now for the lower part of the pens.

Attachments

• 16299423_10212530572159038_192761039537629430_n.jpg
    16299423_10212530572159038_192761039537629430_n.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 133
Top Bottom