Third times a charm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan26

Dan26

If you live around Kentucky you'll recognize this from license plates. I cut it on the scroll saw, filled with PR (dark blue with Pearlex), and turned. The first one I did, I forgot to paint the tube, duh.:curse: The second one had a worm hole through the pattern (and the PR found it).:eek: But, I'm satisfied with this one. It will go on a Sierra (when I get another kit). Walnut with 12 coats of CA/BLO, MM through 12,000, plastic polish and buffed. Sorry, just couldn't wait to share it. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Horse-4.jpg
    Horse-4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Derby is less than a month away!!! And you have made an outstanding pen there Dan. I guess i'm gonna have to call you so I have something to match my bookmarks:wink:.

And by the way, is that a Ky Coffeetree blank???

robutacion

If you live around Kentucky you'll recognize this from license plates. I cut it on the scroll saw, filled with PR (dark blue with Pearlex), and turned. The first one I did, I forgot to paint the tube, duh.:curse: The second one had a worm hole through the pattern (and the PR found it).:eek: But, I'm satisfied with this one. It will go on a Sierra (when I get another kit). Walnut with 12 coats of CA/BLO, MM through 12,000, plastic polish and buffed. Sorry, just couldn't wait to share it. :biggrin:

Hi Dan,

Great work, shame for the "bleeding" of the dark PR into the wood.

It shouldn't have happened and maybe you need to look of what you are mixing on the PR to colour it. Another trick is to wait until the PR starts to react (before gel) and pour.
Another technique is to soak the wood around the design cut-out with very thin CA, this will seal the wood and will assist with the adhesion, even if the wood doesn't need it.

Another thing that I also believe would give the blank the value if require, is to make the resin pour in a different colour or not totally opaque. The reason for this is that, as it is, is nearly impossible to tell from a simple stick on paper decal, which is getting very popular among pen turners, this is a much simple process and do not require the level of skill that design cut-out and fill require so, not running the risk of letting people thing that is only a sticker, you should do it in such way that, you can see that is no wood behind the design.

This can be accomplished but using translucent and or pearled colours. The tube may need painting but that is a small price to pay to make sure, people see your work for what is is and not for what if could be...!

My suggestions are purely of constructive nature, even tough, you have not asked for any opinions, I apologize if you think that I should have kept my mouth shut...!

Practice makes perfection, a small price to pay, really...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Dan26

Thanks for the compliments. I forgot that the derby is coming up. I have more blanks ready to cut.

George, great tips. I don't do much casting but thought I'd give this a shot. I like the idea of the thin CA. I'll try that. The first blank (the one I forgot to paint) was translucent green. I did like the depth, but seeing the tube really bothered me. I used opaque on this one for no real reason, but I agree it almost looks like a decal in the picture. The real thing looks a bit better. Again thanks for the tips.

Top Bottom