Third Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Katsin

Katsin

Hello.

This is my third attempt at making a pen and the first one that I was comfortable enough to share.

I used a PSI 24k Gatsby kit. The wood is Mahoganey. Not sure what variety.

pen03jpg.jpg

I tried using the BLO/CA finish technique as described in the Russ Fairfield video except I skipped the sanding between layers. I'm not really sure if there is any CA left on it. The BLO might have taken it off or it is just muted as described by Russ in his video. Sanding was taken up to 600 grit as that was all I had to work with.

All comments welcome and appreciated! Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

To me the pen looks very nice. Looks like the wood fits nicely to the hardware. I use the CA/BLO technique as taught by Russ in his video and I think you did a great job. Apply CA in this manner does not provide the high gloss shine seen on may pens here. I think it leaves the pen looking for like wood, which is something I like.

Good job.

ctubbs

There is nothing wrong with your pen, as a matter of fact, the fit and finish is spot on. Good job on a fine looking pen. Keep up the good work.
CA is an art all its own. I use a modified Russ method and get good results most of the time, sometimes not so good. Then it is back to the sanding and much more CA. You are doing good so just keep up the practice.
Oh, I almost forgot, yellow socks. Do not forget the yellow socks! Anytime you are applying CA, you must be wearing yellow socks, standing on your left, or is it the right, foot and muttering at the top of your voice some obscure Hawaiian chant all the while using the brown Taco Bell napkins. What did I forget this time?
Seriously, just practice, practice, practice.
Charles

The pen looks great. As a matter of personal taste I would have left the wood just a hair thicker. The finish has a good look to it. The ability to do a good CA finish is somewhere between science and which craft. :biggrin: Good job.

Katsin

Thank you for the kind words.

The pen looks great. As a matter of personal taste I would have left the wood just a hair thicker.

I've turned out two more of the exact same style and wood since I was happy with it. I tried turning one thicker and agree that the thicker looks adds to the character of the pen with that kit.

Top Bottom