Thin Blue Gatsby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RLR350

RLR350

Finally tried a different version of a Thin Blue Line. Made with black wood on the ends, .016" copper plate, black plastic and blue plastic. The cross cut is 30 degrees and centered. I think I like the way it turned out and it seems to go on the gold and black Gatsby well. Feel free to add your advice, I'm learning.

Charlie_W

Congratulations!
Looks to be a finely executed glue up! It turned out very, very nice!

Did you add a finish or just buff? I am curious because of the black wood as well as the copper.

RLR350

Thanks Charlie.

The glue up was with thin CA because I was out of medium, which I think works better. Keeping the glue from showing is tricky, at least for me.

After turning and dry sanding to 600 grit, I wet sanded, cleaned with alcohol, 20 coats of thin CA, wet sanded, polished, then buffed it. That is becoming my usual process.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the pictures thumbnails, but if it was enlarged you can barely see the difference between the black wood and black plastic.

I order different colors and thicknesses (1/8, 1/4 and 1/2") of sign plastic which works well for pen segments as long as the blank is back painted on thin pens.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom