Thievery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I freely admit that I stole this idea from Anthony when he wasn't looking, but I don't think he'll mind. He knows that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :D The material is Lucite from Pipe Makers Emporium. There are three different colors here and each one has a different interior color; in this case maroon and metallic blue. Doing this right was a challenge. The first couple I tried, I drilled the lower barrel for a full length tube, then painted the inside of the blank, glued in the tube and turned it down. The problem is that as the Lucite is turned, quite a bit of the opaque part is removed, exposing more of the translucent part and thus more tube. Just like turning wood, you don’t know what’s inside until you get there. More than once I was met with some unpleasant surprises in the form of places where the paint coverage wasn’t good or was scratched when the tube was inserted. On one pen, the epoxy bond came loose and the tube turned inside the hole-that really messed up the paint. I’ve worked those issues out and I’m now pretty satisfied with the results. These are all fountain pens and that’s all I plan to make in this style, at least for now. I fear the metal spring for the rollerball will scratch the paint but, I am working on a fix for that problem. The caramel ripple one will only ever be done with black paint, but the other two can be done with any color a customer might want. The second person besides my wife and son to see the caramel ripple one bought it without hesitation. He agreed to let me keep it in case I don’t get another made for a private show next week. I have two more in the queue so I should have another completed in time.

2007591522_AmberBaron.jpg

2007591548_IceBaron.jpg

200759167_PhantomBaron.jpg

All the pens are Barons and top to bottom are Gold Ti, Platinum and Black Ti. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />
Great job Gerry, they all look good. [:)]
Oh, your not allowed in the store no more [:D] [}:)] [:D]

Actually, you posted your Amber Ripple Jr. Statesman here looonnnng before I was in your store. I just saw them close up there.[:p][:D]

Fred

Powder coat paint on your tubes will be somewhat better than most paints. The powder coat is baked on and quite hard. I also believe the powder coating would be easier than enamel painting, but hey, thats my opinion based on my previous life.

MOST EXCELLENT job on the FP's. I hope you sell a bunch of them. [:D]

gerryr

Thanks to everyone, even Anthony.[:D]

To answer a couple of questions, powdercoating the tubes would be nice but it will not solve the problem of scratching the paint on the inside of the blank when the tube is inserted. If someone knows how to powdercoat plastic, I would love to know about it.[:p]

I've used a variety of different paints and fingernail polishes and all work sometimes, but not all the time.

Beautifully done Gerry,

I have had the same issues with the lucite, painting has become a more patient process....the last one is my favorite.

I also foung the same problem with the spring, so I CA glued it into the end so it would not move around.

I also have borrowed a few ideas from Anthony too, he's a great person for sharing ideas and help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom