These are about as good as I can do at this time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
what with my inferior tools...Ryobi bandsaw and drill press, Harbor Freight gouge and skew and the original, imperfect bushings.

you cannot make a quality product with inferior materials

Kauri

2005112515740_Kauri.jpg

Bog Oak

2005112515911_BogOakEmporer.jpg

Thank you for looking. Feel free to comment on either or both.

Ron Mc

Lou,
They look darn good to me! I'm not sure where the quote came from but my garage / shop must be full of inferior materials as well and I'm darn proud of it! Those pens look just as good as any pen made by someone who happens to have thousands of dollars worth of toys in their shops. I'll tell you what I'll go try to find a beaver to turn with to see what I can make. It will be darn economical unless some animal rights group shows up.[:D]
Anyone have a beaver I can buy?[;)]

wayneis

Hot Diggity Damn Lou, those are real pretty. You also just helped me make my mind up on a little quandry. I've got a set of Kauri barrels all made up, just need to do my final sanding of the Enduro and I've been trying to deside weather to use the Emperor kit or a Gent. Emperor it is, thank you.

Wayne

Deere41h

WOW Lou those are really nice. Guess you guys are going to get me to try some of those yet. They are starting to grow on me. Nice job with those inferior tools and all.

BigRob777

Lou,
Well, if that's the best you can do, I can give you some pointers[:D][:D][:D]

I did learn from a master. Anyway, these are superb. I want to try that kit, after I run through most of my cigars and sierras. The five pens I (and Claudia) still have, were a big hit at Thanksgiving. I am getting faster, but I still need to read that 7 page, or so, tutorial you gave me when we first e-mailed, on finishing. I should just come down for a visit, to see how you do it, but more in a later e-mail. I only have one minute of Thanksgiving left (in our time zone)

BTW, I don't believe that quote. I'll bet <b>You</b> could turn a piece of cow dung into a beautiful pen. Now don't get any ideas....

Keep up the awesome work,
Rob

angboy

You must have nice inferior materials and tools, and must know how to use them in a way to maximize their inferiority! Isn't it odd that many of us may aspire to make such inferior things in our "shop"[:D]? BTW, that all means that I like them a lot- especially the bog oak, with which you don't usually see someone being able to make such a large pen out of the available blanks of bog oak. Nice job of showing that, while size may not matter[;)], some people do apparently have more size (of bog oak...) to offer!

alamocdc

I think you're just mad 'cause my Ryobi DP drills straighter than yours, I can change the speeds on my Harbor Freight BS and my Windsor Design lathe chisels hold an edge longer. [}:)][;)]

Actually, that's nice looking work, Lou! I really like the grain definition in that Bog Oak! That's more than I've ever seen in this stuff. [:D]

nlp1090

DCBluesman,

Good morning, Beautiful looking pens. I would like to buy the Bog Oak Emperor pen. How can I buy it from you, if it is for sale.

Thanks
Neal

M

Mudder

Gee Lou,

I was beginning to think I was the only one. Truth be told, I have quite a few Crown,Sorby, and P & N lathe tools but I find myself going to an old Buck Brothers carbon steel skew to make my pens. Why is a Harbor Freight tool inferior?

I think your pens are fantastic! "inferior" materials or not. It matters not what the tool is made of or how much it cost. What matters is wether or not it is sharp and how much skill the person using it has.

Dario

Those really looked great!!!

Inferior tools can be used by great craftsmen and produce great results...but with less skilled people...it could be very frustrating.

Another classic example of..."It is the Indian, not the arrows" thing. [;)]

Texas Taco

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Lou,
Well, if that's the best you can do, I can give you some pointers[:D][:D][:D]

I'll bet <b>You</b> could turn a piece of cow dung into a beautiful pen. Now don't get any ideas....

Keep up the awesome work,
Rob

Rob, You might not have given Lou any ideas but you got me to thinking..... [^]

Lou........Nice Work! Show us some more.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks to each of you who have viewed these and especially to those of you who have added words of encouragement. Your comments mean a lot.

The quote is a bit "tongue-in-cheek" as I could use a couple of my more expensive gouges or skews and I could have used the new bushings...actually, the two were turned with different sets but the result is remarkably the same.

A few words of acknowledgement are needed here. Paul Huffman's (Paul in OKC) Sidevise was critical in getting the full size pens out of the blanks I had. I still say I'll trade in my Jet before I'll trade my vise. William Cavanaugh sent me the Ancient Kauri as a gift. I hope you feel like I did ok with it, William. Many of the rest of you good folks on the forums have added and continue to add to my knowledge of turning and finishing, particularly Russ Fairfield. I would know almost nothing about finishing were it not for his advice.

Neal, thank you for your inquiry. Then pen is for sale and I have sent you an email as a follow-up.

These kits are beautiful. CS USA has done an excellent job with design and in giving us an excellent high-end kit. The price is a bit intimidating, but they have given us the ability to step up a little higher onto the playing field with the major manufacturers.

Thanks, again, to everyone who continues to inspire my to improve my craft. I wish each of you the same level of support from this marvelous group.

nlp1090

Lou,

How do I communicate with you? I got your email but no reply email address.

Neal

Spike

I think both pens look great. I also am in the same boat as you with tools. All of my tools are el cheapo turning tools and most of my power tools, but I agree with some of these other people, it is not the tools that makes the masterpices but a craftsman that can master them.
Most of my pens seem to turn out pretty darn good though.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by DCBluesman<br />....
you cannot make a quality product with inferior materials

I think some folks are getting slightly off course?? The quote clearly talks about materials, "NOT" tools??

Sorry Randy, but I disagree with the word "clearly." Read in context the original quotes rambles freely between materials and tools, blurring the distinction between the two. The main part of that discussion seemed to be bushings and "cheap Chinese wrenches." In that case, I feel that the thread is on target. Interesting that in two full pages of discussion you are the only poster to declare the original post inaccurate.

Randy_

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Sorry Randy, but I disagree with the word "clearly." Read in context the original quotes rambles freely between materials and tools, blurring the distinction between the two. The main part of that discussion seemed to be bushings and "cheap Chinese wrenches." In that case, I feel that the thread is on target. Interesting that in two full pages of discussion you are the only poster to declare the original post inaccurate.

William: You are, of course, entitled to your opinion; but you really do need to read these comments more carefully!! Nowhere did I say that the original post was inaccurate!! I only stated that Lou's quote mentioned only a relationship between quality and materials. There was "NO" mention of tools in the quote and that point is eminently clear even if others chose not to comment on it!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Sorry Randy, but I disagree with the word "clearly." Read in context the original quotes rambles freely between materials and tools, blurring the distinction between the two. The main part of that discussion seemed to be bushings and "cheap Chinese wrenches." In that case, I feel that the thread is on target. Interesting that in two full pages of discussion you are the only poster to declare the original post inaccurate.

William: You are, of course, entitled to your opinion; but you really do need to read these comments more carefully!! Nowhere did I say that the original post was inaccurate!! I only stated that Lou's quote mentioned only a relationship between quality and materials. There was "NO" mention of tools in the quote and that point is eminently clear even if others chose not to comment on it!!!

you cannot make a quality product with inferior materials. Including tools, the issue of undersized bushings is comparable to cheap chinese wrenches. try to loosen a tight nut or bolt with one of them. then try it with a craftsman, sk, or even a snap on wrench. you decide if there is a difference. the same is true about a bushing that will not fit properly.
You know what Tealman, when you are right you are right. I bow to your infinite teal colored wisdom.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Can't wait to see what you can do TOMORROW!!!

Nice pens, Lou. Especially like the bog oak. Looks good with those fittings!!

gerryr

There was a story that circulated among F1 racing fans back in the 60's about one of the F1 drivers who ran a racing school at Nurburgring in Germany. On the first day of each class he arrived in a VW bug. He would then pick the most arrogant of his new students and send them out to do a lap as fast as they could in their hot car. He would then go out in his beetle and beat the crap out of their time.

I think these pens are very similar. The tools might not be the best, the materials may not be the best, but if you know what to do with both, you produce a classy product. You certainly did that.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks again for the kind words. The supportive comments from each of you and the views of those who don't comment are highly satisfying and encourage me to go back to the shop to justify your words. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom